Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #1 
Fin Fancier

Frozen Treats

I recently purchased some Hikari frozen bloodworms as treats, and to get a little extra protein to my male who got over a case of fin rot recently. I know to only use them a couple times a week as treats. Since I only have 3 fish I use nowhere near a full cube.
Anyone else have this problem? I have no problem tossing the rest since there are 12 cubes, it will last a while. I just wanted to know if there was a safe thawed range of a few days? Thanks for your help.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I use a sharp knife to cut the frozen cube in half or cut a quarter/small piece off, then I don't have to thaw more than I need.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #3 
SinX7

I let it thaw for a bit before I feed it, when I use a unused chopstick to feed them to my male. I could control how many I feed him also, and I'm trying to teach him to jump for it :p.

If you don't have a chopstick, you can get any stick and make sure its not dangerous for them.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 
Nicci Lu

I take the frozen cube out, cut it into eighths and thaw one piece. The rest, I wrap up in a big sheet of saran wrap, with each piece separated by a layer of saran wrap. Put it back in the freezer, and then I have already portioned pieces ready for the next time.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #5 
Fin Fancier

Thanks for the advice. I'll try doing more pre-portioning and finding a better feeding tool. You could not pay me to touch bloodworms with my fingers. They are just too creepy looking, but my bettas love them.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #6 
Nicci Lu

I just use a plastic spoon. The bloodworms stick to the end of it, I dunk it in the water, the worm floats free- then my guy snaps it up.

They are gross, aren't they? And the smell, ugh. I hope our bettas realize how much we love them. ;)
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote