Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #11 
Laki

Thanks purplecandle, you documented this well :)

I believe most breeders ship them this way. Plus, don't walmart get theirs from USA anyway? They're not coming from Asia or anything. Not for 2$ per fish.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #12 
registereduser

This is how I brought home my baby betta,
straight from the shipping box, from Petco.

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1350780848
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #13 
sainthogan

Individual Bettas are usually shipped in a similar fashion except that instead of a whole lot of them in an insulated box in a bag, there's just one. I know... my male came to me in a bag in a box in the mail. Yes, he was more carefully packed, and yes, he was in more water, and double bagged, but that is how they are shipped.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #14 
pittipuppylove

I'm not saying I agree with this, but is it a possibility that there is a reason that bettas are shipped in this way? While water quality is an issue, would the small amount of water prevent the fish from getting sloshed around and hurt during transport? I know that when I transport my snakes, the safest way to transport them is in a snug-fitting, breathable mesh bag inside of a cooler to keep them from thrashing around in transit and harming themselves - could this be a similar situation?
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #15 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
I'm not saying I agree with this, but is it a possibility that there is a reason that bettas are shipped in this way? While water quality is an issue, would the small amount of water prevent the fish from getting sloshed around and hurt during transport? I know that when I transport my snakes, the safest way to transport them is in a snug-fitting, breathable mesh bag inside of a cooler to keep them from thrashing around in transit and harming themselves - could this be a similar situation?

Well, when moving, it's always recommended to put them in a small transport container and place them in a cooler with heat packs, rather than drain some of the water out of the tank and transport them that way. And when my male was shipped to me, he was in about 6-8 oz of water, and packed with lots of cushioning in an insulated box. My only concern with this way is that cups are shipped in the same bag as all the fish, I would be worried that the cups would bump into them, or squish them. But I can see putting in small amounts of water in individual bags and packing them in together in another bag and cushioning the container that they are in. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart probably doesn't have much control over how they are shipped from the breeders to them, except that they are saying that they want the most cost effective way of shipping, and this is what the breeders came up with.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #16 
veilmist

3 tbsps?! How would they like to have all of 6 by 3ft of space to fly in?!
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #17 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Well, when moving, it's always recommended to put them in a small transport container and place them in a cooler with heat packs, rather than drain some of the water out of the tank and transport them that way. And when my male was shipped to me, he was in about 6-8 oz of water, and packed with lots of cushioning in an insulated box. My only concern with this way is that cups are shipped in the same bag as all the fish, I would be worried that the cups would bump into them, or squish them. But I can see putting in small amounts of water in individual bags and packing them in together in another bag and cushioning the container that they are in. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart probably doesn't have much control over how they are shipped from the breeders to them, except that they are saying that they want the most cost effective way of shipping, and this is what the breeders came up with.
Ah, gotcha - I must have misread that the cups are in the same bag. I can definately see how that would be a major hazard.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #18 
cookiemonster3180

That's terrible! I've always wondered what the blue water is...
cookiemonster3180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #19 
veilmist

However much this is sad to me... I want that male in the close-up
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #20 
madmonahan

Haha, that's what I thought veilmist!
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote