Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Oh dear....Another "rescue"

Uh, HOW did I end up with another one of these? Well, I was at petco buying one of their shrimp ( I got a berried one!), and when I saw thia betta thought he was dead. So when I saw that he wasn't I thought it wont hurt to ask whether sick fish are free...
I was expecting the guy working there to say no, since that is usually the case. Petco usually wont let you take home sick fish. but he was like "you can have that one". I was like...O_o what have I done.

I'm not sure whether I like taking home sick fish, on one hand I'm giving him a little chance at life, on the other hand i always feel terrible when they die.

This one is in serious bad shape. a couple of times I had to look reaaaaalllllly hard to see is his gills were moving since he was so still... and... dead looking.
Even at the store the guy servin me said, "I think he's dead". The counter girl took a look and said "good luck"...

I drip acclimated this one after putting in two drops of prime. he's floating the the vase of my last rescue. This fellows looking very emaciated. I dropped in a couple of daphnia incase he wanted food when I'm not around, but he's yet to show the slightest interest in them.

Drip acclimating...

Floating in giant vase. Water temp: 82F

vid:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps5d0b9e4b.mp4

I'll keep you guys updated on his condition, but it isnt looking good.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Oh wow poor boy, I really hope that he recovers for you. I am glad they did not charge you for him, the biggest pet shop in our area would not have given a discount for him. When they have fish that sick they just tell people that they are fine and that it is normal for bettas to play dead!

I really hope he makes it, I know it is sad bringing home a rescue if it dies but at least they die having someone who cares about them and in much better conditions than the petshops keep them in which has to make things more comfortable for them. Keep us posted on how the little guy goes. If he survives it will be really interesting to see what colour he ends up.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #3 
ZubinBetta

You really have the makings of a vocation ahead of you. I admire that you are willing to try to save them.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #4 
registereduser

If anyone can do it, you can
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 
TwilightNite

I hope he makes it through the night! And I am very excited for the updates!! And with a little TLC, I believe the little guy will be happy healthy and beautiful! Keep us posted! Go aokashi! :D
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #6 
osromatra

Oh goodness, poor fella! Hope and healing vibes for him!
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

Poor thing...hate to think what his ammonia level was. I have heard amquel plus may help with ammonia poisioning?
I don't think I would dare ask the local petco or even mention the fish was sick - they are pretty by the book and just plain...dumb.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-08-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Poor little man! If you got him for free, I'd say that's fate. ;) I'm glad he's gone home with you. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

I hope he makes it!
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #10 
Seaman2012

I think he will make it :) Just gotta give it time. Hoping for the best! At least he is comfortable now.
Seaman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote