Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #1 
FiveWord

Exclamation My Betta Filipe has a large lump on his side.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 Degrees Farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Biogold and Freeze-Dried Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day, alternating foods

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle 'Start Right' and DeCHLOR.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 mg/L
Nitrite: 5 mg/L
Nitrate: 0 mg/L
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 125 mg/L
Alkalinity: 300 mg/L

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Large Lump on the side, on the head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 6 weeks.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have tried many treatments including Jungle 'Lifeguard' and Seachem 'Kanaplex', but neither helped.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just some minor Finrot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year about
Attached Images

FiveWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

To be honest, it looks like a tumor. I have had a few fish who had tumors. Tumors have become very common unfortunately. And there is nothing you can do, but continue to give him the best care you can. He was probably a year old when you bought him (store?) or even older.

Does he show signs of any abnormal behavior such as gasping, lethargy, darting, refusal to eat etc?
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #3 
FiveWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
To be honest, it looks like a tumor. I have had a few fish who had tumors. Tumors have become very common unfortunately. And there is nothing you can do, but continue to give him the best care you can. He was probably a year old when you bought him (store?) or even older.

Does he show signs of any abnormal behavior such as gasping, lethargy, darting, refusal to eat etc?
Thanks for the info! I had no idea what happened or what it was. No, he doesn't show any of those signs. One question. Will his life be shortened by this condition?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It could likely shorten his life but, like Sena said, there isn't much that you can do. It's growing right around his gill which could definatly lead to complications if it grows larger but it may not. You are taking good care of him but I would switch food to omega one or new life spectrum, and I assume you are in the process of cycling his tank. It's great that he is otherwise healthy and happy. Good luck!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #5 
WaffleSire

Poor guy does seem to have a tumor. Well, just keep 'em happy! Who knows, maybe it'll go away...somehow?

I heard about someone who did surgery for a tumor on a fancy goldfish, but that probably isn't such a good idea for a betta...
WaffleSire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Sadly for smaller fish such as the Betta, surgical removal of tumors is next to impossible. Mainly because they are very small, it would be harder on them compared to a koi or other types of larger goldies.

Tumors can be genetic. They usually are. You never know when they hit, sometimes. There are two types... Cancerous and benign. Benign is usually slow growing and does not pose a threat. Lovelace (previous dumbo HMPK) had a tumor that started later, under his chin. Near the end part of it ruptured inside, he went an ugly greyish pale pink, and that was when I made the decision to euthanise.

Until he shows signs of suffering, he's fine. If you notice he goes downhill fast you may need to look into euthanasia. Clove oil I found works the best... Just to allow you to keep that in mind just in case.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #7 
FiveWord

Thanks guys. Well, I guess i'm just going to try to make his life as happy as possible and hope the tumor doesn't get bigger. Thanks for all the info and suggestions! ;)

Tags
need help, unknown disease