Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #1 
jamm

Easiest Betta home?

In your opinion what is the absolute easiest way to keep a betta?
jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #2 
shellieca

Well there's a difference between easiest & healthiest. The easiest is how most people are instructed, a small unheated unfiltered container BUT the healthiest is a filtered, heated, tank. Size is subject to personal opinion & mine has changed over the past year, I prefer a minimum of a 5g but do have a couple in 2.5g tanks. IMO, the easiest is a heated, filtered, cycled minimum 5g tank because then you just have to feed & do a 50% water change each week & of course keep an eye on the Betta for anything out of the ordinary. I also prefer my males not to have fish tank mates, they do have snails but no other fish.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #3 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Well there's a difference between easiest & healthiest. The easiest is how most people are instructed, a small unheated unfiltered container BUT the healthiest is a filtered, heated, tank. Size is subject to personal opinion & mine has changed over the past year, I prefer a minimum of a 5g but do have a couple in 2.5g tanks. IMO, the easiest is a heated, filtered, cycled minimum 5g tank because then you just have to feed & do a 50% water change each week & of course keep an eye on the Betta for anything out of the ordinary. I also prefer my males not to have fish tank mates, they do have snails but no other fish.
I agree this is the easiest way long term to keep a Betta. It requires a bit of effort in the beginning for set up but in the long run it requires less maintenance.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

Lots and lots of different ways to keep this species successfully....Its finding what works best for you, your Betta and what you have available.

Some Bettas can't tolerate too much space or water movement and some don't having any problems with it at all and some only need time to adjust in order to tolerate it.

As long as general needs are met, water quality maintained, temp within normal range and proper diet provided-A healthy Betta will thrive for several years without issues.

By understanding normal behavior will help you spot abnormal behavior so you can intervene. With even the best care sometimes a Betta can get sick-due to age, genetic, past health history and current care. Its a short lived species to start with-being born, matures and reproduces all within the first 3-6 month of life.

It can be made to sound complicated to keep this species, however, IMO/E-its one of the easiest to keep-provided that you understand the special needs of this domesticated fish-especially the special needs of the Long fin male long delicate man-made fins.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #5 
jamm

Thanks for your replies!

I guess yes I should have put easiest AND healthiest :P Easiest would just be one of those crappy .25 gal boxs...

I'm aiming for a minimum of 5gal planted but my work is very demanding so i'm also looking for something where water changes can be done once a week.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #6 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamm View Post
Thanks for your replies!

I guess yes I should have put easiest AND healthiest :P Easiest would just be one of those crappy .25 gal boxs...

I'm aiming for a minimum of 5gal planted but my work is very demanding so i'm also looking for something where water changes can be done once a week.
Just remember during the cycling phase you may have to do daily water changes for weeks, once that's done weekly water changes/cleaning will be fine.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #7 
jamm

Yep I'm down with doing that for cycling and actually setting up the tank.. I'm talking easiest long term. Id prefer a 20gal community.. but we shall see!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #8 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Absolute easiest way? In a heated cycled tank of at least 5 gallons with weekly water changes a good varied diet. A sponge filter or baffled power filter (baffling your power filter is easy and cheap).

Setting up a cycle can be a bit of a pain, but once its going its usually easy to maintain with weekly water changes.

When dealing with aquariums, bigger is easier to establish a good cycle and is actualy less work in the long run than a dinky bowl or "tank".
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #9 
daylily

ok, got it, 5 gallon heated, filtered, cycled.

I'm looking for a new tank for my betta right now.

So, sponge filter or say, a Fluval Spec V?

Planted or not?

Substrate?

50% water change each week?

Any tankmates such as an onion snail??

What about not filtering, but doing extra water changes?
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post

So, sponge filter or say, a Fluval Spec V?
I love sponge filters. :) Can't comment on the Spec, but it is purdy.

Planted or not?
Definitely planted.

Substrate?
*shrug* I just use sand, and plants that feed from the water column rather than the substrate. They thrive, and my tank is so full of green I can do water changes fortnightly-monthly. I'll attach a picture. :) (Scuse the mess, it hasn't been trimmed in months).

50% water change each week?
Yep. :)

Any tankmates such as an onion snail??
I'd go nerite, if you can - good at algae eating, don't reproduce in fresh water.

What about not filtering, but doing extra water changes?
I thought the point was for it to be low-maintenance? I'd definitely filtered, at least until the plants can really take over.
Hope this helps. :)
Attached Images

Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote