Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #1 
Silverrealm

Substrates and aqual soil

As most of you probably know by now I have been researching natural planted aquariums and how to make them self-sustaining. The bigger the tank, the more stability you achieve between water changes.

I have been looking into Aquascapes, and it is being suggested in the research that you use several different substrates and conditioners (have not looked into this yet) to help prevent the substrate from falling or compressing.

Anyone have advice on substrates or Aquascapes?
Silverrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

What kind of advice? Do you have any specific questions?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #3 
RiceFish

I'm assuming this is going to be a planted tank. I would try looking on the planted section of the forums for ideas of aquascaping.

Off the top of my head in terms of conditioners most people either use a mixture or combination of liquid fertilizer (seachem flourish comprehensive), root tabs (seachem root tabs) and co2 (DIY co2, seachem excel, actual co2 system). Depending on the type of plants you will be getting for the tank will determine what conditioners you need.

As for substrates of a planted tank there are several options but most common are
-eco complete
-seachem flourite
-caribsea Floramax
-different soils (check planted section for the best one) capped with a substrate such as pool sand, small sized gravel, regular sand from petco/petsmart/etc)
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote