Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #21 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
Can you cycle "fishless"? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Absolutely!! Cycling without fish has been around for many years now and is a great alternative to subjecting hardy fish to ammonia and nitrite and then just returning them to the store (assuming they survive). In my opinion, it is the easiest and most stress-free option for the aquarist, and is also a much more humane method. Here's an article on different cycling methods (I'd strongly recommend the pure ammonia method as any decaying matter such as fish food will take a while to start releasing ammonia and will also make a huge mess of your aquarium). Pure ammonia can usually be found in the cleaning section of your grocery store, and some fish stores also sell it, albeit at a greatly marked-up price.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #22 
daylily

My spec V did not take long to cycle fishless. About two weeks.

I recommend a Hydor Theo heater for this tank.

I contacted a local fish club and got some stuff (called seeding a tank) the guy squeezed out of his filters and gave to me. He told me to put most in the compartment with the filter sponge and put a little in the substrate. He also gave me lots of plant trimmings.

I used the ammonia method. I bought an API Freshwater Test Kit to test the cycle.

I also recommend buying a couple Fluval Edge Pre Filters. I use it over the filter outflow to baffle the power of the flow. You can use a whole one to begin with, then cut it into strips when he gets used to swimming and you see how he does with flow.

The light on the Fluval is not really strong, so go for low light plants.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #23 
ashleigheperry

My 10G divided, filtered, planted, heated tank is the easiest I've ever kept. All you need to do is vacuum once/twice a week and do a 50% water change 3-4 times a month (once a week until the plants are established)! I personally cycled with shrimp, but fishless is usually suggested. c:
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #24 
louisvillelady

Kim, Interesting! Learn something new everyday! lol It's been so long since I've cycled a tank. I know so many people with tanks tha I usually just get alot of "gunk" and some water form them and start it up. Instant cycle! Thanks for sharing!
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #25 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
Kim, Interesting! Learn something new everyday! lol It's been so long since I've cycled a tank. I know so many people with tanks tha I usually just get alot of "gunk" and some water form them and start it up. Instant cycle! Thanks for sharing!
Glad I could be of help .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote