Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #51 
Hallyx
Reference Team

As the old saying goes, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." Sour grapes about the price, and opinions about what it's worth to you, only betray a plebeian, working-stiff's attitude toward objects and their fiscal worth. You ain't rich enough not to care.

I'm not rich, but I had two really rich friends once. If they wanted it, they bought it---cars, boats, vacation homes. They weren't into Betta, but if they had liked that one, they'd have had a setup built for a few grand and paid someone $100-200 a week to come in and change the water.

How much do you think their clients pay ATM in Las Vegas to build a tank and the contract to maintain it? One could easily find out what it costs to have a professionally-maintained business-office aquarium. Hint: it's more than we're spending on our little Betta.

I'd buy that sucker in a second, if I had the money, and keep him as a pet, just to marvel at and admire.

Last edited by Hallyx; 03-11-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #52 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
As the old saying goes, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." Sour grapes about the price, and opinions about what it's worth to you, only betray a plebeian, working-stiff's attitude toward objects and their fiscal worth. You ain't rich enough not to care.

I'm not rich, but I had two really rich friends once. If they wanted it, they bought it---cars, boats, vacation homes. They weren't into Betta, but if they had liked that one, they'd have had a setup built for a few grand and paid someone $100-200 a week to come in and change the water.

How much do you think their clients pay ATM in Las Vegas to build a tank and the contract to maintain it? One could easily find out what it costs to have a professionally-maintained business-office aquarium. Hint: it's more than we're spending on our little Betta.

I'd buy that sucker in a second, if I had the money, and keep him as a pet, just to marvel at and admire.
I agree if I had tons of money to throw around I would buy him and the 200 dollar fish just so I could sit and look at them. They are all very pretty fish and no one else is going to have any that are even close to them
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #53 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
There is no IBC standard for kings/giants yet, well I don't think there are I unlike several of the members of this forum won't say a bunch of stuff like it's fact when I don't have a clue if it's true or not. Last I checked there was no category for kings/giants in any fin type. I am sure as they become more popular there will be.
Stone, if you actually read my post you would have noticed that I did not even mention king and giants. I only mentioned currently judged qualities.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #54 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Stone, if you actually read my post you would have noticed that I did not even mention king and giants. I only mentioned currently judged qualities.
And if you read the ad for the fish in question, you would notice it is a king/giant, so reading is fundamental, I am guessing that bit of this whole conversation is lost on you, and you want to go off topic just so you can hear yourself talk, so yes I actually read your post and put it back on topic which you had taken it off of....
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #55 
Fenghuang

Stone, all these people have said previously that they recognize that the betta in question is a giant. And they have a right to be critical, what, with him carrying such a hefty price tag. In the most basic terms, giants are just regular bettas, but bigger. So why would the show standards for basic form be much more different if there were show standards for giants? Yes, everyone agrees that he is a nice fish. But he is not be a perfect fish. There is no need to argue over this. The animosity is unnecessary.

Like others said, unless I end up having more money than I knew what to do with, I would never spend that much money on a betta. He is not even what I like and would not catch my eye in a whole listing of fish. The most beautiful fish I've seen sold for for less too. Besides, for all I know, he might not even survive shipment, and then what would I be left with?

Last edited by Fenghuang; 03-12-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #56 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Of course I knew that it was a giant. May I please ask how I am going off topic?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #57 
registereduser

wow,, someone actually paid $500
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #58 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Just that it is gone does not mean that someone payed.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #59 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Of course I knew that it was a giant. May I please ask how I am going off topic?
Is this thread about IBC standards for king bettas? or bettas?

I'll answer for you no
Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #60 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Stone, all these people have said previously that they recognize that the betta in question is a giant. And they have a right to be critical, what, with him carrying such a hefty price tag. In the most basic terms, giants are just regular bettas, but bigger. So why would the show standards for basic form be much more different if there were show standards for giants? Yes, everyone agrees that he is a nice fish. But he is not be a perfect fish. There is no need to argue over this. The animosity is unnecessary.
Well are the standards the same for a crowntail as they are for a halfmoon? after all they are both bettas their fins are different is all....see how that works? kings would have a minimum size requirement would be one thing for sure as for the rest who knows, me or anyone guessing at it would just be blowing hot air, I would rather provide real fact based information than assume a bunch of things to be true which are not. I have shown animals my whole life, dogs and cats, for example a greyhound and a whippet are basically the same dog one is just much larger than the other, they both have what is considered standards for their size and appearance they don't use the greyhound standards to judge whippets and vice versa.

So if this forum which is really meant to be informational want's a ton of mis-information on it lets just all make up things and post them as fact and god forbid do not ever challenge any post where people are providing falsehoods, some members of this forum seem to post a ton of bad info and people seem to let them because they are a senior member or whatever, I will call someone on bad info, if I have too I will site sources and ask the person providing bad info to post theirs.