Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #1 
Hadoken Kitty

Male being a pain.

So, I have my male and female in the breeding tank after conditioning for two weeks. Here's my problem: my male isn't building a bubble nest. The temp is turned to 86*F, there are heavy amounts of tannins (deep yellow water), the female is interested, and I have the front covered. There is a place for him to build his nest as well (a styrofoam cup), but he hasn't done so. I floated another one of my males to get him stimulated, but there was no success with that either so the other male is back in his tank. So I gave him another 4 hours. Then I checked again and still no bubble nest, but the girl is still interested. I went to my notorious bubble nest building male's tank and stole his whole nest (poor guy) and put it under the cup to see if he wouldn't work with it. Is there anything else I can do? I know you can't force them to breed, but this guy isn't even trying. He'll show off, but that's it. Just no nest. -.-
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How long have they been together? I wouldn't worry about it. Some males have eggs in their mouths before they make a nest, and some pairs (especially virgins) take weeks to figure it out. It sounds like you are doing everything right.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

They've only been in the tank over night and half of today.

Should they be in longer? Most breeding info only talks about the chasing/biting/wrap/etc. I only found two sites that said to leave them in over night for time to build a nest.

I haven't bred these two before, but I know the girl's AB page said breeding female. Not sure if that meant she's breeding ready or just breed-able (whatever that's supposed to mean). I just wanted her marble pattern.

Anyways, I'll just assume they're virgins to be safe. I haven't released the girl yet, as I wasn't sure if there should be a nest or not (though now that I think about it, I think someone told me something similar to what you said). I'll wait for the boy to start showing off again. He has a lot of space, so I'm trying to decide on whether I want to cut it down or not.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

The first time I spawned splendens (dad was an egg eater) my male was initially slow to build a bubblenest. However, he was showing off and the female seemed interested. So what I did, was let her out with him and let him chase her around for a couple of minutes.

That seemed to stimulate his nest building instincts and the female was still raring to go when I put her back in the net. These were both virgin fish and I found it was the courtship that took the longest. Once they were both ready the actual spawning commenced after about five minutes of the female being released.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

Alright. Thanks, I'll try that! I was thinking about doing something like that. I just let her go and he quit being so bashful and started chasing her. He's kinda slow and she just zooms around, so I think he might get annoyed kinda quickly, lol.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Good luck with them both! One of the reasons I gave up on splendens was the hassle of getting them ready for spawning.

I have noticed that my wild males seem to do a lot of chasing before they actually spawn. It always appears stressful from my perspective for the females, but they voluntarily come back and let the males do it so I think it does play an important part in the courtship process.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

I decided not to cup her, as my male is finally starting to chase her more and more.

How was it a hassle for you? I don't want to quit splendeds (especially since I'm just starting), but I'd like to know what was a hassle for you so I can try and make it easier on myself (if possible).
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Oh it was just the whole conditioning, then the introduction and then having to make sure you released at exactly the right moment and then worrying that your beautiful HM male is going to look like his tail went through the paper shredder. The big worry for me, was always that I was going to have a spawn of fry with no ventrals. I hate the look of bettas with no ventrals as it makes them look unbalanced and 'off'.

I tried my HMPK marble pair three times and all three times they spawned right away but then the male would eat the eggs while I was asleep. At that time I was not confident enough to try and artificially hatch them, which I probably would have attempted now.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

I kind of pray that my male won't be an egg eater....I'm scared that he will. I don't know that I could artificially hatch, either. I wouldn't even know where to start. I just want to get them to spawn at this point. This male seems kind of lazy, though...big fins....here's to hoping that his laziness doesn't get the best of him.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #10 
louisvillelady

I spawned two virgins a little over a month ago, and it took them a week to figure it out. They were both very interested in one another though, and for me, that was key. I guess my attitude about the whole spawning thing is that the males spend their entire lives in isolation, so if they are enjoying anothers company, well, who am I to hurry that along.lol Let them have some fun.

I don't know what size you are spawning in, but I noticed you mentioned thinking about cutting down the size. If he has a lot of fins, that may be a good idea. I spawn in a 20 gallon and have it divided off about half. This gives them room to play, but not so much that they simply are too exhausted from flirting to get on with it.

Good luck with this spawn. I have a feeling things will be fine. :)
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote