Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #11 
Hadoken Kitty

I'm curious before I go to bed: My pair was cuddling under a leaf before I came upstairs. They went under the nest. Swam around together. No chasing just cuddling and spending time. So should I still put the girl in her own .5 gal inside of my 20 gal breeding tank? I'm letting the male roam free for now, or is this not a good idea? Last time I scrapped my pair all together, but I want to try again with this pair since they're apparently so lovey dovey.

I guess what I want to know it: Would my female be okay overnight with my male in the tank unsupervised if they're acting this way?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #12 
louisvillelady

My virgins that I was telling yu about acted the same way. Laying together and the whole nine yards. I left mine together the entire time. As long as she has breeder bars, and he isn't going too aggressive and the female has places to hide if she chooses or needs, then I would leave them together.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #13 
Hadoken Kitty

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #14 
Hadoken Kitty

OMG I went down stairs and the girl ripped my male's fins to shreds! It looks like he went through a shredder!!! His beautiful big fins!...They're....they're gone! I'm so mad at this stupid girl. She's totally untouched!

This may sound stupid, but I should take them out, right? I've read about "almost lost this girl" or "almost lost this guy" so I didn't know if that meant that I should still try to breed them or not. I'm just so P.O. at this girl.

I cupped the guy and looked at him and the only thing going on with him is shredded fins. No nips in his sides or head.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #15 
Hadoken Kitty

Nevermind. I pulled the whole thing. I didn't wanna chance it. I'm so mad right now though. They weren't acting like this AT ALL last night.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #16 
blu the betta

good luck. i know if anyone can make this happen its you.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #17 
Hadoken Kitty

Thanks blu, that makes me feel better. I'll try with a different girl next time. Poor guy...I'm so mad right now it's ridiculous. This marble girl just....ugh.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #18 
Hadoken Kitty

Look what she did to him! And to think she's swimming around in that stupid sorority now just acting all angel like, since my girls aren't nearly as gentle as he was. T.T Poor Duke. Q.Q
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #19 
Myates

Woops.. that is very common. One or both easily (and usually) get torn up pretty badly, whether it be fins or body.

Was the room and tank completely dark/black? I have a female that is fine when the lights are on but if placed in complete darkness she does this sort of thing to the male. So had to leave a nightlight on, or the tank light (the light tilted away to give them some dimness) so she wouldn't go nuts.

People tend to forget the females are just as aggressive as males and will show it from time to time. Most likely she wasn't ready and/or she was spooked in the dark and didn't like the male chasing her then.

One of my red boys - before and after being with the girl who hates the darkness.
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #20 
Hadoken Kitty

Just the male got torn up. I left the tank light on since I noticed that they get spooked when I turned it off. She had vertical bars before I went to bed last night. I have no idea what could have changed it. They'd been cuddling the entire time. I was getting frustrated that there wasn't a nest or anything since they'd been cuddling so much. She had bars the entire time. Woke up to this, though. I have no idea. I had the whole tank blocked off visually and the tank light on so idk what did it...