Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #21 
farmgirl598

I had the same trouble figuring out my first sponge filter. But once it arrived, It was pretty simple. And I LOVE THE THING!!!! I have it in my 10 gallon guppy tank, and it really keeps things clean. The tank is overstocked too, since you know how guppies breed. I have small to medium ones in my betta tanks. Sponge filters are the way to go! Sakura8 has the instructions exactly right....
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #22 
White Mage

I have the same hex tank as you do. I ordered a sponge filter for it. I don't like the filter the tank came with, it makes a whirlpool under the water D:

My betta died because of the stress it gave him. (I'm sure of it because he hid 24/7 behind a plant away from the current, and wouldn't eat for 2 weeks)

New betta is more hardy, but tries to stay clear of the whirlpool, it shoves him spiraling down to the ground at an angle. D:

Sponge filter should arrive this week. :l
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #23 
Xaltd1

I'm thinking of sticking a regular sponge on that intake. If it doesn't work, I can install a regular sponge filter. I decided to use the one I posted in my spawning tank, b/c it's really low profile.
Yes!! I'm attempting my 1st spawn this week!!!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #24 
jadaBlu

I have this same filter and did the same thing you did which was basically figuring I would know what to do with once it got here. I figured out from reading somewhere to buy the supplies to operate it. Thanks for posting pictures it helped me confirm what I already concluded. If anyone wants this the filter it's $3.99 on amazon.com and the shipping is free. A betta owner gave it good reviews and even came back later to say they bought more of them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #25 
waterdog

I just found your thread so I am probaably too late to chime in, but the pump you showed looks like it comes off the marineland hex 5? I have this tank and that filter is absolutely awesome IMO. It's the only betta tank I DON'T have a sponge filter in cause the flow is so gentle and the bio wheel is great.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #26 
Xaltd1

Yes; it has a very low flow directed toward the back side, so it doesn't blast a current directly at the fish (like my HOB Fluvals do, necessitating a baffle).
I'd like to make use of that filter. If I cut a hole in a bath sponge, will it work?
(It's a new, natural sponge sold @ Walmart; the same kind in 1 of the DIY sponge filter videos; no chemicals.)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #27 
waterdog

I don't see why not. I use the filters made for it but the main thing is the bio wheel. Do you have it?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #28 
Xaltd1

Yes, it's right here on the carpet :0)
It bounced out when I took the tank apart. I'm working so much on fish these days, I have aquarium supplies & buckets EVERYWHERE. It's been a snowy winter, so I get busy w/ indoor projects, like building a shrimp farm, re-aquascaping everything, adding fish..etc.