Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #1 
ollief9

Starting Again with a Betta

Hi guys.

I used to be pretty active on this forum until my Betta died about a year ago; I haven't really had a lot to talk about since then! So, I am currently looking to get another Betta and I am torn between two tanks:
http://www.fish-fish-fish.com/superf...rium-in-silver
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...-10-litre.html
Both aquaria are 10 litres (2.5G) and about 40 ($60) and they both come with filters and lights. I'm thinking maybe the cube shape would benefit the fish but I'm unsure?

I am also undecided on what kind of Betta I should get. Veiltails are the most common here but is it worth shopping around and finding one with a different tail type? I love the look of Plakats but they are probably quite hard to find. What are your thoughts?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #2 
Sparta321

Both of the tanks seem really cool! But I don't think that one of them would be more beneficial than the other....they both seem really similar. I guess just pick the one that's cheaper? :)
Well, you could definitely order a different kind of betta online, but I don't prefer doing that because it's a lot of stress on the fish, with shipping and all. Crowntails aren't too difficult to find, and yes, Plakats are definitely rare. Having a different type tail betta isn't too much of a difference...I mean, yeah it's cool to have a fancier betta, but veiltails can come in soooo many different colors.
Sparta321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #3 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
Hi guys.

I used to be pretty active on this forum until my Betta died about a year ago; I haven't really had a lot to talk about since then! So, I am currently looking to get another Betta and I am torn between two tanks:
http://www.fish-fish-fish.com/superf...rium-in-silver
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...-10-litre.html
Both aquaria are 10 litres (2.5G) and about 40 ($60) and they both come with filters and lights. I'm thinking maybe the cube shape would benefit the fish but I'm unsure?

I am also undecided on what kind of Betta I should get. Veiltails are the most common here but is it worth shopping around and finding one with a different tail type? I love the look of Plakats but they are probably quite hard to find. What are your thoughts?
I like the Qubie and I feel that round ones distort the view when they swim around the tank...makes me seasick looking at the distorted image on the AQ wall.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #4 
veilmist

Maybe something shallower and wider? If not then tall plants. +1 Otterfun btw. Personally I love veiltails but the Petco's around where I live have many different tail types. Congrats on you new betta!
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #5 
ollief9

OK I think I'll go for the cube tank, I think they stock them at my LFS which is so much easier than ordering online! Bettas are really hard to find here and most stores only have about two or three at once - it sucks. Plus they tend to just throw the Bettas in with the other fish in large, high current tanks. I think there is one store about an hour's drive away which has more of a range of bettas and they keep them in separate tanks. They also have some cheap small tanks but I'm wondering if it's worth the drive!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #6 
osromatra

Yeah, I'd go with the cube, as the round will distort the view.

I personally prefer VT. For some reason, I just like the look better. But it's all a matter of personal preference.

GL with your decisions!
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #7 
Crowntails

The cube tank looks very nice. Best of luck!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #8 
ollief9

Thanks :) I will be getting the tank towards the end of the month as I don't have any money at the moment!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #9 
ZubinBetta

I think I like the cube better, too. My impression of such things (from hanging around this forum) is that a filter in that size tank doesn't accomplish very much, and may perhaps buffet the betta around a bit much. As for tail types, there is certainly novelty in having one of the rarer types, but ultimately between you and your betta day-in-and-day-out, the type of tail is less important (to me, at least) than the relationship that develops between person and fish. Veiltails lack nothing by way of capacity to inspire/demonstrate love. It's still fun to moon over pictures online of the fanciest fish!
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #10 
ollief9

I have kept 2.5 Gallon tanks with filters before and it works for me. It is easy to baffle the current anyway but if it does turn out to be overkill I can always remove the filter :)