Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #1 
koincidenskis

Sugar Gliders!

Awwww man!!! sugarbears!!!!

I saw them about a year ago in person and they are just adorable. However they are very expensive and pretty much require attachment 24/7.

Continue Gawking!
koincidenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #2 
blu the betta

i love them. it is so cute!
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Living in a country that has sugar gliders as a native animal, I kind of don't like the idea of it being sold as a pet here and in other countries.

They are a wild animal and having seen gliders 'in the wild' they seem like they would require a fair amount of space to move about in and live happily.

I do find them incredibly cute though. I can see why they have become popular in the pet trade.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #4 
Crowntails

I almost got 2 once. Wish I did!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #5 
Indigo Betta

so cute, but i bet they are hard to care for
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

My boyfriend's little sister has one. From what he's said they can be loud and somewhat annoying. Cute, but not sure I'd keep one.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
Living in a country that has sugar gliders as a native animal, I kind of don't like the idea of it being sold as a pet here and in other countries.

They are a wild animal and having seen gliders 'in the wild' they seem like they would require a fair amount of space to move about in and live happily.

I do find them incredibly cute though. I can see why they have become popular in the pet trade.
Bettas are native to Thailand, guinea pigs Peru, axolotols Mexico, etc etc. All pets were once wild. Dogs used to be wolfs.

While they need a very responsible and knowledgeable owner, I don't think that the fact that they come from your country alone makes them bad pets. Just saying, don't mean to start a debate here.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #8 
koincidenskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Betta View Post
so cute, but i bet they are hard to care for
From what the expo guy told me is that his little guy (Iceman) is on him all the time. Carries him in cargo pants pockets. I assume he would probably have a cage for night time. I am not sure how the sleeping arrangements would go (i.e squishing the poor little guy).

And if you think about it, they would use the bathroom in your pockets. So all that fun stuff would be running down your leg.

They are an awesome pet in theory, but honestly not such a practical animal.
koincidenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Bettas are native to Thailand, guinea pigs Peru, axolotols Mexico, etc etc. All pets were once wild. Dogs used to be wolfs.

While they need a very responsible and knowledgeable owner, I don't think that the fact that they come from your country alone makes them bad pets. Just saying, don't mean to start a debate here.
Bettas and axolotols are also not very high functioning animals. There is little difference in the behaviour of my wild-caught bettas and my captive bred bettas.

However, I have never liked the idea of having exotic animals as pets. Particularly mammals and marsupials. Dogs, cats and most popular species of livestock have been domesticated for thousands of years. Most breeds of dogs you would have to go back generations before you even found a wild ancestor.

Animals such as wolves, sugar gliders and primates (I still cannot believe some places allow the average person to own a chimpanzee) have not. People underestimate how fast and how unpredictable a wild animal (even one that has been bred in captivity) can be.

http://www.sugarbears.com/

Calling them 'sugar bears' makes it sound like they are trying to appeal to people using the cute factor of these animals. I think that is wrong.

It's like how I thought it was wrong for there to be an avairy with a pair for sale at our local stock and feed store. We have nature parks to observe these animals in a essentially natural environment. They really don't need to be kept as pets.

I can see why they chose sugar gliders over something like a brushtail possum. Because they are cute, and cute is unfortunately what sells.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok, but do you think we got dogs from some sort of tame, domesticated wolf? No. All domesticated species started somewhere.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote