Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #1 
Mashimon

Baby Betta/ New Sorority/Possible fungal infection

First Concern: Baby Betta [Female?]
The guy at Petco was 75% certain it was female. I currently have her in a little mesh breeder tank, and am waiting for her to grow a bit. I'd like to introduce her to a female sorority tank (same tank, just non-secluded), which I also started today.
If she turns out to be male, I'm fully prepared to provide him with his own tank. So far, she looks female, but I'm afraid to let her mingle with the other girls. My Red Veiltail is a little nippy, and I'm worried about the baby being beat up just a bit too much for her to handle. I'm also unsure how Betta react to young.
I'd like to introduce her to the sorority eventually. She's currently able to eat small pellet food How often should I feed her?. At what approximate size should I introduce her? I'm already aware that I'll have to cup each of the other females and re-introduce them to a re-arranged tank, to help rebuild the sorority including the new addition. Should I be worried about anything else regarding her rearing, or eventual introduction?

Second Concern: Female Sorority Tank [6 Females]
So far, and it's been about 6 hours, no one has body slammed anyone else. There have been a couple flarings, and my white crowntail has decided to follow the red veiltail, which they both seem to love. I've seen a couple nips, which were quickly solved by swimming away. Basically, my females seem to be getting along a hell of a lot better than I expected they would. Does this mean I did it right, or should I be concerned that they might become more nippy/violent in the coming days?

Third Concern: [Male] Betta might have a fungus
My mom purchased an Elephant Ear betta. Completely enamored by his looks, we didn't notice the cotton-y fuzz growing along his head, top, and top fin. He's currently quarantined from all other fish. He's in conditioned, non-filtered water which I am prepared and planing to do partial water changes regularly. His water is slightly salty, and I've already treated the water with an anti-fungal. Is there anything else I can do? Is it possible this fish has Ich, instead? The spots are all very cotton-y. Is there anything else I can do to expedite his recovery?
Mashimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #2 
callistra

Baby bettas are more sensitive to water parameters. Since your tank is cycled this shouldn't be an issue.. it's not in process or anything right? 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <20ppm nitrates even after a week of no changes at this point?

They also need higher temps between 80-82F.

They are more sensitive to junky diets and it will stunt their growth. I suggest New Life Spectrum Grow formula. They are teeny tiny. Feed about an eye size's worth (should make the stomach slightly round but it will go away by next feeding) twice a day with one fast day a week.

Just watch it. They should hopefully settle in.

It's actually most likely columnaris. What meds are you using and how much salt? I would actually be using Kanaplex and be prepared to add furan 2 as well if kanaplex alone doesn't clear it up. If you can't fidn this you can try triple sulfa. If you can't find that you can try maracyn and maracyn 2in combo. Treat for 2 full weeks. For now keep temps lower, around 76 as higher temps will speed up columnaris.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #3 
Mashimon

Correct, there have been no major fluctuations in the water parameters in my tank. Everything's still super clean, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and <20 ppm nitrates.
Thanks for the temperature/feeding information, I'll make adjustments.

The current anti-fungal I have is just the Jungle Fungus Guard. Its active ingredients are copper sulfate and potassium dichromate. The only other medicines I have within reach are and anti-ich (formalin and malachite green), and an internal parasite guard (metronidazole and praziquantel).
I'll run to the store first thing tomorrow to look for any of the other things you've listed.

I'll keep his water temperatures a bit lower, too, to help slow the progression.

Oh, and about the salt, I've only been using enough that a betta would normally not really notice. I remember reading a few places that betta enjoy salt on occasion. I've added a few rocks of aquarium salt. He's currently in a very small enclosure. Tomorrow I'll be moving him to a 10gallon tank where I can better keep an eye on him and treat him.
Should I forgo salt, or should I be using more?

Last edited by Mashimon; 03-09-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Forgot Salt info.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #4 
callistra

The Jungle Fungus Guard is actually two antibiotics and a carcinogenic chemical that's not a med. It might work, but if it doesn't I'd have a backup because columnaris can move quick.

It's best not to just randomly add salt. If you do that then when you have an actual infection it will be resistant to the salt and you will never be able to use it for healing. Healing dose starts at 1 tsp per gallon and can go up to 3 tsp per gallon for a short time. Also using salt for more than 2 weeks risks premature organ failure. It's okay you added a little, but I wouldn't add more and I'd phase it out after a water change. If you want a short term dosage for fish stress 1/2 tsp per gallon is okay for a week or two but I wouldn't use it along with an antibiotic or when you have an infection present.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #5 
Mashimon

Alright. Salt is gone. Here's a photo. I'm no longer seeing patches of possible infection.

He's no longer in that plastic bin. I took the picture while I was in the process of acclimating him. He's currently in a 10g tank, alone. By looking at his top fin, would you say columnaris is likely the culprit?

Tags
baby, female, fungus