Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What color do you think Shelly will mature into?
Mustard Gas 8 57.14%
Green 5 35.71%
Other (if other post wyt?) 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #1 
MadMay

Mustard Gas?

Ok I know you are all probably tired of seeing pics of Shelly but here are more! lol I think he/she may turn out to be an MG. Not sure though what do you all think.
Attached Images

MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Beautiful fish, but she is not a mustard gas. Mustard gas is a very overused and inaccurate term. The original breeder of true mustard gases trademarked the term and using it is disrespectful. True mustard gases were created by Jude al in the 90's to describe a line of fish he put over 15 years of work into.

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1256
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #3 
MadMay

Your link isnt working, but I have read in the past on that subject and that trademark was canceled in 2009 and there for to my knowledge the term can be used. I dont believe that I or others refer to yellow bicolors as mg to be dishonest or for people to assume that this fish came from that persons line. I think more people think of mg as a yellow bicolor than as that persons personal strain of fish so while I do know that it is alot of work to create your own strain I think that it was a little petty to put out a trade mark on such thing. As again from what I can tell people use it to decribe a yellow bicolor not to advertise that it is a from Jude Als strain.

So to clarify by asking if people thought Shelly would mature to a mustard gas I am referring to a yellow bicolor and I am not claiming in anyway that he is from any particular breeders personal strain. If ever I use the term mustard gas I am referring to the commonly accepted term for a yellow bicolor and again not referring to a persons individual strain and unless clearly stating that persons name and giving them credit. So I hope that clears everything up for people.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #4 
Skyewillow

Apparently your article was moved, Mattsbettas.

the status of said trademark:
http://www.markhound.com/trademark/search/3ckyxNdRD

"Registration cancelled because registrant did not file an acceptable declaration under Section 8." - Oct 17, 2009
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes, but its still using the name of a breeders personal line. I highly doubt that you would be fine with the name of something that you put 15 years of your life into being widely misused and spread. If it is a yellow bicolor, then why not call it that? To be honest the trademark only prevents people from selling non mustard gases as mustard gases. It doesn't make it polite or right to call a fish a mustard gas if it isn't. I am sorry if I come across as rude, but I am trying to stop the spread of mis information.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #6 
Skyewillow

I agree that it's being misused in the sense that the original mustard gas bettas have dark (almost a black) smudges around the edges of their fins.

HOWEVER, it wouldn't be any different than someone trying to trademark any potentially random trait that would show up. That's like when Paris Hilton tried to trademark the phrase "that's hot". It's too random.

Without that smudge, I would call it a bi-color. But really by the end of the day, mustard gas is only a bi-colored butterfly. And it ISN'T trademarked, so being rude isn't going to make it any less legally moot than it already is, despite spending 15 years on it. That's the chance you take when you breed livestock, especially when you sell or give away without a contract.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #7 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Beautiful fish, but she is not a mustard gas. Mustard gas is a very overused and inaccurate term. The original breeder of true mustard gases trademarked the term and using it is disrespectful. True mustard gases were created by Jude al in the 90's to describe a line of fish he put over 15 years of work into.

Matt, seriously...who died and made you boss? Unless you tell me Jude himself I'm calling you out on this. You are like the MG patrol and whenever anyone posts a mustard gas (omg I used the term!) betta you seem to spring up out of the wood works and repost this exact post!
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #8 
MadMay

Skyewillow in my original response I had intended to mention about the "thats hot" trade mark but decided to take it out. Im glad I am not the only one that the situations were similar in absurdity!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #9 
Skyewillow

^_^

By the way, she could decide to completely change color on you, she looks pretty young yet, and when I brought my boy Skerries home a little smaller than that, he looked like he was going to be reddish. However, now that he's all grown up, he's a marvelous turquoise!! lol
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #10 
MadMay

X C Everyone is calling her a she! lol Yeah Im aware its just kind of fun to guess!