Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #1 
bniebetta

Question How does everyone cope with multiple bettas?

My dream has been to have one male betta of the most popular tail types (CT, VT, RT, HM) and a sorority. So far I have the veiltail and crowntail, but my mom thinks I should stop there because I am a full time student and will be working part time as well. She thinks I would not have enough time to manage/have space for them all.

I feel like I would be able to do it no problem, but I would never want to assume responsibility of living things if there was a possibility I couldn't actually take care of them. I keep seeing people mention that they have 10 or more fish, and I can't help but wonder how they manage so many.

I really want to continue my hobby, but I have to make sure it is doable. I don't know how well intelligent fish like these take to being rehomed, and it would break my heart to have to do that.

What are your thoughts on this? How bad would it be to have to rehome betta to very responsible and loving people on this forum (some of whom even trade fish- it seems similar morally)? To those of you with many fish, how do you fit them all into your busy schedule?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I have 12 and am a full time student. It's easier when half of them are in a sorority. The males are in divided tanks. I do spend a lot of time on them, they are my babies lol. I do breed, and that is why we trade sometimes. What is RT?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #3 
bniebetta

rosetail, they are so pretty!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Oh. Rosetail is not actually its own tail type, rather it is a variation of halfmoon. I try to stay away from them because it is not nice to the fish to have such excessive branching and heavy fins, and often when you breed them you get "x factor" fry, basically mutants.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #5 
bniebetta

Good to know , I'll keep that in mind :) Do you have any advice or shortcuts you'd be willing to share about how to streamline upkeep?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

I have 10, and we're getting more in the next couple of months as Aemaki's spawn is ready to go.

My girls share the big tank, but for my males who are all in 1-1.5's and a 2.5, PLUS my frogs in a 5 gal, I stagger water changes. I don't do everyone on the same day. 2 males per water change day, then the 2.5 and the 5 on days in between. It means a tank every day, but it's easier to break it up that way.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I have less tanks now then I did when I used to work 40 hour weeks. I had a set schedule for water changes and since I really don't have much of a social life, it was a lot easier for me to be at home changing water out at 10:00pm at night.

Because my job was either 7:30-3:30 or 10:30-6:30, I would either do my tanks in the morning before I left for work, or do them when I got home in the afternoon.

Having cycled tanks definitely cuts down on time spent on maintenance. On a cycled tank you generally only need to do water changes once a week or so. Also, dividing one bigger tank up and getting it cycled is probably the most cost effective and time effective way of housing multiple bettas. I hated when I had 10 or so 3.5 gallon uncycled tanks that required me to clean them out every few days.

It is definitely doable. You just have to remember that it is something that is ongoing. You can't jump in and be all enthusiastic at the start and then let your care and dedication drop once the initial excitement is over. If you think you may have issues, it's probably best to limit yourself. You have a whole life ahead of you after school and there will be plenty of time to indulge in the hobby then as well.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #8 
caissacrowntails

I have currently..um..around 40 - 50 (youngs and adults) and 1 tank of fries + 1 tank sorority, how? I spend like 1 - 2 hours daily to change the water, I divide those individuals, so it's like..20 something today + tank of fries..and the other half + sorority tank tomorrow, it's "scoop, put in temporary place, take half of the water ( usually the "upper", cleaner part in the tanks ), empty the other half, if the tank looks dirty clean it first, then refill and added with aged, IAL treated water, scoop the fish back into it's tank..20+ times (start to feel "automatic" LOL ). as for feeding, I just do it before I go to work. Thinking about building a "betta barrack".
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #9 
bethyMT

I have four tanks (one is betta-free though) - a 55g, a 20g, and two 10gs.When I was doing fish-in cycling on the 20G sorority and one of the 10G, it was kinda insane. I was changing water at least twice a week on every tank, more on those two. Now, I just do every tank once a week, and not massive quantites of water like I had to before.

Cycling will save your butt. If you want a lot of fish, divide up bigger tanks and cycle them. It cuts down on your work load. Or I think you can run several tanks off a shared sump system.

As an aside...I was changing so much water in heavy buckets for a while there that I actually pulled a tendon in my foot. Guess I can't handle 70lbs of water in bare feet! Believe me, constant water changes are no fun!
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #10 
kimt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I have less tanks now then I did when I used to work 40 hour weeks. I had a set schedule for water changes and since I really don't have much of a social life, it was a lot easier for me to be at home changing water out at 10:00pm at night.

Because my job was either 7:30-3:30 or 10:30-6:30, I would either do my tanks in the morning before I left for work, or do them when I got home in the afternoon.

Having cycled tanks definitely cuts down on time spent on maintenance. On a cycled tank you generally only need to do water changes once a week or so. Also, dividing one bigger tank up and getting it cycled is probably the most cost effective and time effective way of housing multiple bettas. I hated when I had 10 or so 3.5 gallon uncycled tanks that required me to clean them out every few days.

It is definitely doable. You just have to remember that it is something that is ongoing. You can't jump in and be all enthusiastic at the start and then let your care and dedication drop once the initial excitement is over. If you think you may have issues, it's probably best to limit yourself. You have a whole life ahead of you after school and there will be plenty of time to indulge in the hobby then as well.
This is exactly why I am stopping at 3. I currently have 2 and I am thinking about getting a baby. Right now I am really excited about my bettas. It's new and fun. I have my bettas in a 3 gallon and 2.5 gallon. I do water changes twice a week. One 50% and one 100%. It takes me 15-30 minutes to do the water changes. A third tank would add maybe another 10 minutes. More tanks would be more work than I care to do. Someday I'd like to just have 1 larger cycled tank and divide it, but I don't have the funds for that now.

I also think that going into it with the idea that you can rehome if it becomes too much work is the wrong attitude to have. When you get any pet, you have to make a commitment to take care of it. Attitudes like this is why shelters are full of unwanted animals. If you are doubting whether or not it will be too much work, then I would not get any more. Enjoy the fish you have and study hard :)

Last edited by kimt; 03-15-2013 at 04:00 PM.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote