Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #1 
ryancalif
Member
 
ryancalif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mojave Desert, California
Question EHEIM Jager Heater - Calibration problem

Hi

I got my new EHEIM 50W heater installed in my 5.5 gallon tank (slightly overkill I know) and am having a problem with poor calibration. The water temp is about 4 degrees higher than the heater setting. I have tried calibrating the heater, but the calibration dial won't rotate any further (it's hitting the stop).

I just installed the heater today, so I'm not sure if I need to let it sit for a few days to get all evened out or what. However, as of now, I need to add 4 degrees to the heater setting to get a real water temperature. Not a BIG deal if I need to live with this, but still...

Thanks!
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #2 
RiceFish
Member
 
RiceFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I actually have the same size heater and tank and it works fine.

Have you read the instructions that came with the heater? It tells you how to adjust it if this situation occurs. If you need any additional information just search it up on youtube and there will be a video detailing you what to do.

Hope this helps :D
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #3 
Otterfun
Member
 
Otterfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
Hi

I got my new EHEIM 50W heater installed in my 5.5 gallon tank (slightly overkill I know) and am having a problem with poor calibration. The water temp is about 4 degrees higher than the heater setting. I have tried calibrating the heater, but the calibration dial won't rotate any further (it's hitting the stop).

I just installed the heater today, so I'm not sure if I need to let it sit for a few days to get all evened out or what. However, as of now, I need to add 4 degrees to the heater setting to get a real water temperature. Not a BIG deal if I need to live with this, but still...

Thanks!
youtube has a calibration video by the manufacturer, you can look it up there
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #4 
ryancalif
Member
 
ryancalif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mojave Desert, California
Did you guys even read my whole post? I said I calibrated the thing...

The problem is the red dial wont rotate any further. If you notice, the dial has a limited range of adjustment. I'm at the very edge of the dial adjustment right now, at the stop, and its still about 5 degrees off.

Luckily, it seems to hold the temperature of the tank very well. I'll just need to remember to subtract 5 degrees from the actual water temperature I want when setting the temp.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #5 
RiceFish
Member
 
RiceFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
What are you setting the heater to and what does your thermometer read?
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #6 
ryancalif
Member
 
ryancalif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mojave Desert, California
Right now the heater is set at 77 degrees, which keeps the water at a steady 81 degrees.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #7 
marktrc
Member
 
marktrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: oahu, hawaii
ive put a jager 75 in a 15 and a 10gal. i noticed that even though i set the dial to 78 in both tanks... the 10 shows 80 while the 15 is 78. (used exact same heater but at diff times). so i believe that if you put that heater in a 10gal it might make the calibration closer. though i did not experiment enough to know if it will really help.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #8 
Otterfun
Member
 
Otterfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
Did you guys even read my whole post? I said I calibrated the thing...

The problem is the red dial wont rotate any further. If you notice, the dial has a limited range of adjustment. I'm at the very edge of the dial adjustment right now, at the stop, and its still about 5 degrees off.

Luckily, it seems to hold the temperature of the tank very well. I'll just need to remember to subtract 5 degrees from the actual water temperature I want when setting the temp.
Yes I read it calibrating the dial involves moving red and blue dial for Eheim. Contact the customer service if there is a problem.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFDp3KY3LU
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #9 
ryancalif
Member
 
ryancalif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mojave Desert, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
ive put a jager 75 in a 15 and a 10gal. i noticed that even though i set the dial to 78 in both tanks... the 10 shows 80 while the 15 is 78. (used exact same heater but at diff times). so i believe that if you put that heater in a 10gal it might make the calibration closer. though i did not experiment enough to know if it will really help.
Interesting... Thanks for the info.

I have it set at 73 right now which is holding the water steady at 79 degrees. So it looks like I'll have to apply a 6 degree offset whenever I set it. I wish I didn't have to do that, but the heater does work very well at least.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EHEIM Jager Aquarium Heater Phaydra Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 12-06-2012 08:17 PM
Eheim Jager SinX7 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 7 11-02-2012 02:41 AM
Eheim Jager heater laughing Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 1 11-29-2011 06:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.