Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #11 
mermaid77

I certainly will!!!! I feel like a little kid, I'm so excited about it! lol I'm spoiling this fish rotten and I don't even wanna keep tabs on how much I'm spending because I'd probably be in a state of shock at how much $5,$10,$20 here and there have added up to by now!

I took a ride to Petco tonight and decided to go with the black gravel...just seems easier to me for some reason... Picked him up one of those floating logs since he'll be losing his favorite rest spot under the filter by either running it or doing away with it all together, a leaf hammock (already removed the metal wire -thanks for the heads up- love this forum!) Had a heck of a time picking out nice ornaments though....what the heck's up with all those sharp edges on them?!!!! Do they want to filet the fish or what?
Ordered my plants form Mikeswetpets and got Anacharis, Anubias Nana, Java Fern and a Cryptocoryne Lutea (hope I didn't overdo it for a first timer :/). Also ordered some Flourish and...I can't wait til I can start setting up!

One more question. QTing the plants...uh... I just put them in regular untreated tap water for two weeks and do water changes....or...is less time OK if I don't notice any parasites? Anything in particular I should watch out for other than that? I'm afraid I'll kill 'em before they make it to the tank but needless to say I'm more worried about harming my fish. I read somewhere on here that Mikeswetpets treats them for snails so I hope at least that won't be a problem...:S
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #12 
Bombalurina

Put them in dechlorinated water, as you would a fish. :) Make sure you have a light on them, and it is best to keep them at the same temperature they'll be in once they go in the main tank.

Alternatively, you can wash them in a potassium permanganate solution, if you can get it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #13 
mermaid77

Once again THANK YOU! You've been most helpful!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #14 
Picasso84

R u happy with mikeswetpets? I was just thinking about ordering from him! :)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #15 
mermaid77

The plants are due to be delivered today so I'll let ya know! :)
I decided to purchase from him because he had pretty good feedback on ebay...many people seem to be repeat customers and speak highly of the quality of his plants:) Great communication from his part, got back to me quickly, and very fast shipment.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #16 
mermaid77

UPDATE: Got 'em! :) They seem pretty healthy for the time being lol. A couple of leaves on the Anubias appear partially eaten...but that's about it...
I'm a little concerned about the Crypt Lutea...he had it listed as a low light, however, I read it requires moderate to high light on another site...

Question: I'm terrible with measurements...Flourish gives directions to use 5ml or a capful/60 gallons...so...how much should I use in my 5 gal, which taking into account the substrate ( btw had a change of heart and ended up going with the black sand instead - looks really nice, but OMG what a pain to rinse!!!!!!!!!! ) and decor, is probably closer to 4 gal in the end...
Maybe a couple of drops per gallon...?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #17 
mermaid77

OK...just found a snail...so I don't believe what I read about him pre-treating must be too accurate... Unless it was one die hard little guy...
Just thought I'd let ya know...
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

Can you get hold of a 1ml syringe from a vet or chemist? 0.1ml will be enough for your tank. :)

I've had some hardy little snails in the past. I've got one in the hospital tank that has just survived ten days of salt and a bunch of medications before that that should have killed him dead. If anything, he's grown.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #19 
mermaid77

Thanks!!!!! :) But...oy...a syringe will be extremely difficult to come by...perhaps just one drop will be close enough for the entire tank...though I doubt it... :S
Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #20 
Bombalurina

No, a drop will do the trick. :) 0.1ml is not a lot. :p