Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #1 
RoMay

BIG trouble

I'll state this quick because I need help QUICK. Last night I had a short in the fancy tempiture shut off heater that Jabi has. A short that I am shocked didn't trigger the power supply that they are attached to (supposed to be able to detect surges and shorts and shut off). Anyways I come home to feed Jabi and I noticed her tank is hot. IT's so hot the needle is buried at the top of her tempriture gage at 110 F. I pulled the cord and yanked out the heater but there is no sign of Jabi. To be frank I am scared she's dead. Do I leave her incase she found a warm spot and-holy she just scared me um, she seems to be still alive what do I do because she doesn't look to good. She likes higher temps so I might be panicing for nothing. She's in a 1 gallon.

-edit-
I've been having a bad month begining at the end of Feburary. >_< I was hoping I was done being a bad parent to my fish. She's slowed down for me her fins are clamped, her gills are a little poofed and she looks likes swollen better word for it. Her whole body just is swollen up. Poor little girl.

Last edited by RoMay; 03-10-2013 at 10:36 AM.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #2 
madmonahan

Change out her water and put some cooler water in, this has happened to me before and what she needs is some cool water. What is the tank temp now?
Edit- also move her to a dark quiet place to help with her stress.

Last edited by madmonahan; 03-10-2013 at 11:32 AM.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #3 
RoMay

I did put something cool by her tank so it's dropped down to 100 maybe a little to fast? I'm putting in Kaoru's to make sure the temp is reading right. she's still swollen up but she's swimming around more. Right now she's finally sitting at the top of the tank with her little mouth going occasionally blowing bubbles. Somewhere dark well that's easy I sleep durning the day and she hides behind my laptop
Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #4 
callistra

That's dropsy which is organ failure.

Get epsom salt at 1 tsp per gallon and predissolve it. Add it to the tank over an hour. You can add a second tsp after 12 hours. The salts need to be 100% magnesium sulfate with no other dyes, perfumes or additives of any kind. I get mine at CVS Pharmacy. This will draw the fluids off her and maybe give some time for her organs to heal.

Only time will tell if she will recover but it doesn't look good.. sorry :(
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

How is she doing?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #6 
RoMay

She's still sitting at the top of her jar her little mouth going occasionally blowing bubbles. I would take a picture but that annoying light used to focus bothers her. Thus why I only really have pictures of Kaoru not Jabi. Some of her red spots on her face are darker, she's stil swollen but it's not worse and her fins are not as clamped. You can see the spaces around her scales more but not so noticble that it makes you think ut oh. I had to leave for work so hopefully she's still at the top of the tank making fishy faces when I get home.

I am sticking to the 8W marine one Kaoru has. and put a flag up when I have to unplug them so I remeber to plug them back in.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #7 
RoMay

Good news Jabi is still alive, and thankfully the swelling has gone down. She still has redness between her scales that looks like a sun burn and the discoloration I noticed earlier. BUT she is feeling better I can say that for certain. Just now she had me laughing watching her flare at the mirror I dropped by her tank. I know flaring can't possibly funny but she looks like she has a half beard thing going on.

Wait a flaring female that's normal right?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Great to hear that she's starting to feel better! And yes, it's normal for a female to flare. Mine does it all the time.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

I had this happen, same exact thing with a faulty heater, it is a horrible thing to come wake up to! :(

Both of my boys (divided 20 gallon) survived, but they did both get some sort of breathing problem afterwards that had to be treated. (I'd assume it was there and dormant until the stress of the overheating and the increased temps allowed it to thrive, they're both LFS fishies.) Their little gills were inflamed and they'd "pant" for lack of a better word. I used my favorite "general purpose med" of Jungle Fungus Cure (which is misleading, because it's got antibiotics in it, not just fungal medication) for three days, and they seemed to recover without any further issues. :)

I'm so glad your girl seems to be feeling better!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #10 
RoMay

When I went into petsmart the lady at the regishter made a comment about being back for a heater already. They pretty much all know me by now. Anyways the only words I could find for this situation were "I prefer my fish sushi; not well done."

Last edited by RoMay; 03-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.