Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #1 
Luminous

Water temperature for betta with fin rot

I'm worried sick that I'm overheating my betta. He has slight fin rot, I believe from the plant I had in the tank having somewhat sharp edges (I removed the plant). I read up on the best cures and it seemed the salt water was the best way to go. Because it needs to be changed daily I moved him into a 1 gallon tank until he's better. I have a heating stick which I put into his temporary tank and it slowly went up from 78 degrees to 88. I'm afraid he's going to overheat and die but I'm also afraid that if I take his heater out it will become too cold (probably mid 70's), and at a quick rate as he is now in such a small container. I was looking things up hours ago when it was 84 or so and felt relieved when I found a post somewhere about the water being better off in the upper 80's when being treated but I don't recall the maximum temperature posted and I can no longer find the website. Can someone with experience give me the best course if action?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #2 
Kanra Chan

It is recommended for the water to be AROUND 80 with the use of salt, in order for the salt to be used more effectively.
Bettas are more at risk from overheating than low temperatures, because of the reduced oxygen, dependance on the labyrinth organ, and stress on the body.
But lower temperatures will depress the immune system.
I would say, use your judgement.
Whatever temperature you can keep consistent is the one you should go with.
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #3 
Luminous

I ended up moving him to a larger tank again so I don't have to worry about him overheating.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #4 
Laki

Anything over 85F is too much. Glad you moved him! Too warm speeds up the biological process and they die faster, the same as if the temp is too low and their processes are slowed.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #5 
Luminous

I switched him to Bettafix since the full tank takes more work to redo every day. Will this work?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Best temperature is 78F-80F.
When you mean saltwater, do you mean aquarium salt? Marine salt and aquarium salt are two completely different things.. Bettafix is a dangerous medicine. You should do a 100% change right away. It contains an oil called "tea tree oil" which coats the labyrinth and suffocates them.

Stay to the temperature that's consistent. Fluctuations are much more stressful than high or low temperatures. Stick with the aquarium salt treatment, too.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #7 
Laki

I would no longer use bettafix. That shouldn't even be on the market. Kanaplex would be your best bet for aggressive treatment. If you're concerned for any other fish, remove the betta and keep him in a small bowl or something.

*eta* thought this was a different thread, so I cut out some things.

Last edited by Laki; 03-06-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #8 
Luminous

Thank you for the help. I had no idea the bettafix is harmful. He's used to 80 degree temperature and I have it at 75 in my room. Will that be okay for him to go down until he's cured? It doesn't seem that the heater will be safe in the smaller 1 gallon tank and changing a two gallon constantly is a lot of work.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #9 
Laki

Bump the heat in the bedroom then if you can. Or get a space heater. 75F is slightly too cold for any betta. He will much prefer 79-81F.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #10 
Kanra Chan

Any medication is harmful if you use it incorrectly.

BettaFix is not inherently harmful, there are lots of horror stories about MELAFIX though, and that one definitely should not be used with bettas.

BettaFix is specifically formulated for bettas. Knowing the risk, you should only use it in amounts prescribed and in small tanks.

I use BettaFix, and my fish react very well to it. It definitely depends on the fish, although the risk of coating the labyrinth is low to none with BettaFix, most fish have an immediate stress reaction to any medication.

It wouldn't be on the market if it was responsible for copious amounts of betta deaths, as projected by some people. Of course, your judgement is best, and there are countless alternatives. If you feel there is a risk, you are correct in not wanting to take it.
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote