Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #1 
lunch

Fin rot? Or something else?

Just today I noticed fraying on the fins of my red betta.

I've had this male betta for approximately one week in a small one gallon tank with an under gravel heater. I purchased a second male betta and upgraded the tank to a divided ten gallon a few days ago, using the same underpowered heater. I realize it has been a clunky journey for these two and I have been making mistakes, but I am trying hard now to figure this all out.

I'm on my way now to purchase an adequate heater and a water test kit. I'll update more info here as soon as I can.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon partitioned for two male bettas
What temperature is your tank? about 71
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes :/
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? just the two males

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley
How often do you feed your betta fish? once or twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? haven't yet changed the water on the new tank
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Water Conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Split fins, quite severe looking in some spots
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I noticed him swimming in a circle against the glass for a long while yesterday. Other than that he eats and is active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday and today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. As soon as I can test the water I will perform a water change though.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure. Recent Petco purchase.

Thank you so much for any guidance you can give me. I wanted to give these poor little petshop fish a comfortable life and now I'm worried I'm going to kill them.
lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #2 
callistra

He's biting. It's probably a stress response. There are a variety of things that might be contributing to this..

This size tank needs at least a 50w heater.. it is definitely not up for the job. You need to get a good 50w to get it between 78-80F stable, using in tank thermometer.

Make sure your divider is not totally clear and there are lots of plants and things up against both sides so they can't see each other well.

Betta's also should each have a little cave like place to hide on each side and lots of oversized plants reaching all the way to the top so your betta can lay on them at the surface.

Since the tank is new you are cycling.. So here is some info on that..

You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon is needed. First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by weekly 25-50% change with siphon.

All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems. You can also use new plastic bucket that had never been used for anything else and never been cleaned with soap or other chems.

Also, I would look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.

Last, is the filter on this guy's side or the other? What kind do you have and is it prefiltered?

Last edited by callistra; 03-10-2013 at 06:15 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #3 
lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
He's biting. It's probably a stress response.

This size tank needs at least a 50w heater.. it is definitely not up for the job. You need to get a good 50w to get it between 78-80F stable, using in tank thermometer.

Make sure your divider is not totally clear and there are lots of plants and things up against both sides so they can't see each other well.

Since the tank is new you are cycling.. So here is some info on that..

You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon is needed. First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by weekly 25-50% change with siphon.

All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems. You can also use new plastic bucket that had never been used for anything else and never been cleaned with soap or other chems.

Also, I would look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.
Thank you so much, callistra. Just pulled my boots on to run to the store. I will look for everything you mentioned and address the divider when I return!
lunch is offline   Reply With Quote