Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #1 
Lisa Ann

Smile New Betta Owner!!!

Hey guys,I just got my first betta last week. He seems to be happy and healthy. But then again he's my first beta. I haven't got a water heater yet due to the isolation of where I live. So for now I've just been keeping my room warm and putting my space heater near it just enough to keep my tank warm. I have a 3 gallon tank with a lower current filter that came with it...I know it probably sounds bad but I got a tetra bubbling LED from Wal-Mart it says recommended for betta, guppys and neon tetras...But it's plastic, I'm looking for a bigger glass tank.
Anyways I guess I really don't have a specific question. But any and all advice or suggestions would be much much appreciated by myself and Indigo!!
Attached Images

Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #2 
sainthogan

You will need to get a heater, unless you keep your room 78 or above all the time, even at night.
He's a gorgeous fish!!
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #3 
Stone

The 3 gallon tank is fine but you do need a heater
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Just looking at the thermometer, it looks as if the water is still too cold. Try wrapping the tank in a towel to trap in warmth, raising the temperature of your house, and keeping the tank high up in an enclosed space. All of these measures will help increase the temperature. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 
Lisa Ann

Thanks guys!! The advice is just what I needed!
So me and my sister in law have been having this controversial conversation about the right size heater....any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #6 
Freyja
Banned

25 watt adjustable heater will be fine for this size tank.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #7 
Crowntails

+1 on the 25 watt heater.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #8 
Lisa Ann

So 26 watt heater? LoL
Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #9 
Lisa Ann

And just one more question....when I change the water...how exactly should I do it? I've been reading up on betta care but not only do I get confused by the many ways to clean my tank, but with how exactly the equation of water change and all that....it makes sense to me just to take him out of his tank and into a small bowl with his water and "'re-do" the process of when I brought him home....correct? Idk I'm so confused and feel really stupid lol
Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #10 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ann View Post
And just one more question....when I change the water...how exactly should I do it? I've been reading up on betta care but not only do I get confused by the many ways to clean my tank, but with how exactly the equation of water change and all that....it makes sense to me just to take him out of his tank and into a small bowl with his water and "'re-do" the process of when I brought him home....correct? Idk I'm so confused and feel really stupid lol

With that size tank if you have a filter and/or live plants, you won't need to do a 100% change. You can siphon out 50% of the water using a small gravel vacuum or airline tubing like I use, then use a turkey baster or something similar to suck out the yuck at the bottom. Then you add temperature matched, conditioned water back into the tank. And voila, you have changed your water. You can do this do this 2 or 3 times a week.
If you don't have a filter or live plants, you can do a complete water change once a week and 1 or 2 50% water changes a week. Keep in mind that 100% changes can be stressful for both him and you (my female HATED them when she was in her smaller tank and would flare and try to hide, now in her 5 gallon with a filter and live plants, she happily swims around the siphon and chases the turkey baster hoping that it will drop something she can eat.)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote