Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #1 
madmonahan

My friends fish.

My friends fishes gill is sticking out a bit. I thought it was velvet but he doesn't have many signs exept his gill not completely closing. I will try to fill this out as best I can. It was very hard to get a good picture because he would not stay still.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon mini bow.
What temperature is your tank? 82 or more I believe.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets, and freeze dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
2 pellets twice a day, occasional bloodworm, skipping one day of the week.
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2X a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Water condition.
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No test kit.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gill sticking out, nothing else.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing has changed, he is as active as ever.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I just noticed this today, I only get to see him every once in awhile.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He was a rescue with badly torn fins but I do not remember anything else wrong with him.
How old is your fish (approximately) 1 year, maybe more.

As you can see his left gill is sticking out a bit.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  44.5 KB
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hmm... I'm not sure. I would give it a bit of time, I have heard of gills getting stuck after flaring. The care seems good but I would suggest to her that she ups water changes to 3x 50% weekly and switches to nls/omega one. Neither of the current foods are good.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #3 
madmonahan

We don't have a PETCO her so it will be hard to get NLS pellets, but I will let her have some of mine, I have plenty.
She doesn't have enough time to change it 3X a week, she has school and gets very busy.
I will ask her to keep an eye on him.
Thanks.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #4 
callistra

This is probably from ammonia poisoning..

A tank of this size generally needs two water changes a week - one 50% and one 100% by week's end.

Most people will tell you that you can't ever fully cycle a tank this small, despite your filter, and you will always need these changes.. you can try, but careful daily monitoring and reliable test kits should be used. You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon or new fresh turkey baster that has never seen chems is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever. I actually suggest a turkey baster or very small siphon because your tank is so small an average siphon will remove water too quickly.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by twice weekly 50% change with baster/siphon. However, cycling will take up to two months to complete and many if not most people will tell you that you can't cycle a tank of this size and you will always need twice weekly 50% and 100% water changes or you will always see ammonia continuing to build and the cycle will never finish..

You definitely should not assume you are doing enough changes without testing, if you choose not to do a full change weekly.

Also, generally the tiny filters used in this kind of tank only have one type of media in them (like one dual sided cartridge) the problem with this is that first of all there really isn't enough surface area to breed the biofilter you need, and secondly these generally need to be replaced monthly - and anytime you replace all the media in your filter you restart your cycle all over again.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote