Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 
Prettyprada

How to use IAL?

Hey everyone.
Been busy with school and work... but just updating everyone on what's going on!
Mooshoo is doing wonderful. We just got back from spending spring break at my bf's house, and he did fantastic with the long car rides back and forth.
He's gotten to be very social and playful, too! He will take his food right from my finger :)
ANYWAYS! I was reading about IAL, and I just have a few questions.
  • Is it supposed to be used ONLY when a betta is sick, or can it be used whenever?
  • Is it a good idea to put IAL in a tank with a healthy betta, would it be detrimental?
  • Is it possible to have too much IAL in the tank (mine is 2.5 unfiltered)?
  • Can IAL treat any type of illness (such as fin rot) or is it specifically meant for an immune boost?

I just want to be informed so if I can have an assortment of supplements/meds JUST in case Mooshoo needs it... especially after this long trip. He is doing very well, I just want to make sure the transportation didn't weaken his immune system in any way shape or form.
I know I take Vit. C to keep my immune system healthy so I was wondering if that is sort of what IAL does for bettas. :)
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Good to hear about Mooshoo's adventures! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyprada View Post
Hey everyone.
Is it supposed to be used ONLY when a betta is sick, or can it be used whenever?
Whenever. I use it as a treat - kind of a spa. :p
  • Is it a good idea to put IAL in a tank with a healthy betta, would it be detrimental?
  • Definitely not detrimental. :)
  • Is it possible to have too much IAL in the tank (mine is 2.5 unfiltered)?
  • I've never seen any ill effects from putting a lot in, but I'd add it slowly til you reach the water colour that you want.
  • Can IAL treat any type of illness (such as fin rot) or is it specifically meant for an immune boost?
  • It isn't so much a treatment as a tonic, in my understanding. It makes the water just the way they like it, encourages slime coat production and can help speed up the healing of wounds such as fin rot, but it isn't really a medication as such.
I hope this helps a bit. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #3 
Prettyprada

Haha yeah, he's a cool fishy. He reminds me so much of a dog... he's got that personality. Even my bf liked him so much he wanted to keep him lol :p

And thanks for the answers! Definitely helped clearing everything up. :)
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

I read somewhere that they have antibacterial properties.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #5 
Pasdio

This is information I've been looking for! Where (if have already found a source) are you planning to purchase your IALs?

I've also read that roobias tea can be used as a substitute but if I had a source for the leaves I'd rather just use that.
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #6 
Picasso84

Y'all know what? I was just wondering this myself, of course after I had already put some in my boy's tanks! Lol

Oh my gosh! My boys are soooo happy! Especially my newer boy, (I think I'm gonna name him Titanium, Titan for short... Cuz he's white w/ a little grey) I took one leaf, & split it in half, and put it (both sides, b/c it fit better in two) in his 2.5g, he was sooo happy... He just stayed & swam in circles under it, & back out & looked at it, and swam back under it, & back up to the glass/to me, like Thank u!! Thank u!! Thank u!! And then back under.... Lol he did spend ALOT of time under the leaf! it was sooo cute! :) I had put it in there a few hrs before his lights-out.... And by the next morning, he had his *first* bubble nest built! It was pretty big too! I was so proud, I took a pic! Lol (I know they do it out of instinct, esp when they have IALs ~from what I hear~ but it was cool to see him proud of his nest, & he perfected it over the next few days.. he's still making them! He's even moved up to a multiple-layer bubble-nest!) :)

And Dijon, my other guy, he is just swimming, happy dash-dancing, all around his tank, & back to the leaves... & dancing... Lol Oh, I could go on, and on! Lol :)

Ok, so, sorry about the long post, but I have a reason :) u have to order some IAL for your guy (or guys, girls?) This eBay seller Amy, is who I ordered from (takes about 2weeks to get here, but it's worth it!) you get sooo much, & they smell like sweet tea, they r soo clean, and she sends instructions with them and everything! I got her name from some ppl on this forum, and they were right! Great Seller! :) Plus: Most Important: u def get what u pay for with her.... Actually, better~ she has Great prices!

Amy's Ketapang: IAL source :)
http://stores.ebay.com/Amys-Ketapang-Inc?_rdc=1

Oh yea, & my other guy, Dijon, is like yours, in that he acts *exactly* like a dog! Its so funny! Does ur guy act like he hasn't been fed in years... When in reality he was fed like 4 hours ago? Lol :) He will do this wiggly, happy-dance (Exactly like our/my brother's dog-who also has a happy wiggly dance when he sees us!) when he comes to the glass to "greet" me, esp. when it's food-time! :)

EDIT:if you were wondering, I got the grade B, 100 leaves... I got a great amount (haven't counted, but it's gotta b more) and they are all so pretty, I don't wanna crumble them to let them steep in a jug for my refills!

Last edited by Picasso84; 03-11-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Quality of leaves
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

The name, I totally approve of. I have a Mushu too, but he spells his with "u" instead of "oo".

I've used blackwater (this is what that tea colored water is called) with my bettas for about 4-5 years. My bettas have always been much happier/healthier with it.

I bought Amy's 100grams of D grade, same thing, just not as pretty. The darker the leaf is, the darker the water will be, just a heads up. I have a few jugs kicking around with blackwater and then one with regular dechlorinated water, I fill 3/4 of the tank with the plain water, then top off with the IAL tea, and that makes a nice tint where it's ideal for the bettas, but I can still see them. (It can get too dark, and you won't be able to see your fish!)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #8 
Pasdio

Wow those are really great prices! I've heard that IAL can drop the PH in your tank, is really that detrimental? Or is alright to have an established tank and to then add the leaves in? Or would the drop be too quick?

I get the feeling I would just throw in a leaf and let it do it's thing until it finally disintegrates.

Ahh, I feel like this is kind of a thread jack...sorry...
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I add mine once a week when I do my 50 percent water change. I just tear them in half and take off the stem since I am afraid that could poke Perseus, I put the half leaves right in the tank , they make the water look amber I just love them ! Perseus always makes bubble nest when he has them in his tank. After a week I take them out and add new ones.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #10 
Prettyprada

Nice! Great to know I asked a question that a lot of people were wondering about :)
No worries, Pasdio, that is a great question that I didn't think of.

And in response to Picasso, YES! That is exactly what Mooshoo does :) you've described him pretty accurately. The crazy thing that Mooshoo does is when I feed him, he will jump out and snatch the pellet or blood worm right off of my finger! Then he will nibble on my finger and swim away, and come back and flare a little, nibble again and swim away. He goes crazy when I come close to the tank as if he wants to come out and jump on me!

Oh, and thanks Skyewillow! (loooove your username, btw!) That's so cool how you have a Mushu, too :) Mooshoo says hi to Mushu!

Sooooooooo one more question, y'all! Since I have a rather small tank (2.5gl), I have to do the whole weekly water changes thing.
How will that change when/if I put IAL in?
Should I simply do 1 water change per week? If so, what percentage?
I feel like it would be bad to fluctuate so much between clear water and tannins... or does it matter?