Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #1 
Dene

Almost A Betta Mom!

Hi! My name is Dene, I am 24, and tomorrow I will be getting an awesome baby Betta from Petco. I have read everything I can on caring for the little ones, and I feel like I can handle it.

My previous fish experience has all been with Bettas, minus an unfortunate case of my younger self thinking 2 guppies in one of those "cute" Bubblegum Machine tanks was a good idea. They died in less than a week. I've had better luck with Bettas, but this is the first time I've done the research and feel like I'm qualified to keep one alive. The last two that I owned were gifted to me (in tiny bowls) and died after I'd had them for maybe a month. I did not have the funds to improve their conditions, and I have no idea how long the other person had them before gifting them to me, but I know he wasn't taking good care of them.

My Setup:
2 gallon Kritter Keeper
20# PFS
Water (treated with dechlorinator, Stress Zyme, and Stability)
Tetra Whisper 3i
Anubias Nana

Planned Purchases:
Baby Betta
Sponge (to slow the water current)
Mondo Grass
Food (opinions needed!)
Hydor Theo 25w Heater

Food Considerations:
Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets
Hikari First Bites
Hikari Bio-Pure BBS
NLS Small Fish Formula? (cannot find betta or growth formula locally)

If you have any suggestions, I'm really hoping to get stuff in store, not online. So anything found at WalMart, Petsmart, or Petco. I have a few LFS, but quite frankly they are terrible. I would not be opposed to buying food there if it was something I could not find at one of the stores mentioned.

Basically, I'm open to any and all tips. If you're going to recommend that I not start with a baby, I'm willing to listen. The reason I was leaning toward a baby was that most of the adults I saw today looked very unhealthy and inactive. I also found a baby that was a gorgeous almost iridescent color. And I know that could change. xP
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post
Hi! My name is Dene, I am 24, and tomorrow I will be getting an awesome baby Betta from Petco. I have read everything I can on caring for the little ones, and I feel like I can handle it.
Good on you for doing the research. :)

My Setup:
2 gallon Kritter Keeper Great!
20# PFS Possible I'm being dense, but what is this?
Water (treated with dechlorinator, Stress Zyme, and Stability) Don't bother with Stress Zyme or Stability, you don't need it. As a dechlorinator I highly recommend Prime. :)
Tetra Whisper 3i Research baffling filters in case you need it. :)
Anubias Nana Pretty little plant, bettas love resting in the leaves.

Planned Purchases:
Baby Betta I think it might be more ethical to buy an adult, but that's just a personal thing. :) No criticisms if you choose a baby.
Sponge (to slow the water current) Good plan.
Mondo Grass Not so good. It is only semi-aquatic and will rot in the water after a while. If you want an aquatic equivalent, consider Brazilian Hairgrass.
Food (opinions needed!) New Life Spectrum. :)
Hydor Theo 25w Heater Yep. :)

Food Considerations:
Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets
Hikari First Bites
Hikari Bio-Pure BBS
Don't get the Hikari. They've changed the formula and now it has a bunch of low-protein fillers.
NLS Small Fish Formula? (cannot find betta or growth formula locally) Check the ingredients. Avoid it if it has vegetables. I learnt this today. :p I believe that Aqueon or Omega One are both good brands too. :)
I hope this helps. :) Welcome to the forums!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #3 
Option

Welcome! And good luck with the baby betta....I've heard they can be especially tough at first.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #4 
Dene

The PFS is Pool Filter Sand, it's what I'm using instead of gravel.

Oh, thanks for the heads up with the Mondo Grass! At Petsmart they keep it in a tank, so I assumed it would be okay. xP I should know better and should have looked it up.

Oh goodness, I did not know about the Hikari. Thanks again!

Thank you, Option!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #5 
Freyja
Banned

I second Bomba's suggestion on not getting the Hikari. I feed Omega One to my adults and crushed pellets to my platy fry. They love it. As far as plants, you could also look into some floaters like hornwort or wisteria. The Tetra 3i is a crap filter. You're better of with either a sponge filter or the Hagen Elite, baffled of course.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #6 
kyle89

Petsmart and PETCO are known for selling non aquatic plants as aquatic and prime is a great conditioner! Also if you want a jump start on growing beneficial bacteria use dr. Tims one and only or tetra safestart. Just look at the expiration on the safestart.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #7 
Fishy Mom

I didn't know about Harki's new formula. Darn it & that's what I use for my girls too.

In a 2 gallon you may be able to go without a filter since a small baby may have a hard time with it. It depends on the baby though. I had a runt swim great in a large filtered tank & I have two that had a really hard time swimming with it so they are in kritter keepers without a filter. I change their water every other day because I've read babies can be more sensitive to amonia.

I'm glad you're getting as prepared as you can. I'm looking forward to your pics!
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #8 
Picasso84

The tetra whisper 3i ~ I have one, I think it might be pointless... B/c it only has the one and only filter cartridge, and u can't modify it at all... I have heard (thru reviews when i was researching how to modify my 3i filter so i could try to cycle my 2.5G) that the next size up, u can modify... U can detach a clip (on the disposable cartridges) and add in bio-media (or whatever) which also means u can take it back out if u need to change the cartridge... Which means u wouldn't lose ur good BB... And I think (only "think" b/c i haven't traded mine in for the next size up) by stuffing in ur own media, it would prob slow down the flow on the filter.... So, IMHO, u might wanna research which one u want, depending on whether u wanna modify b/c I have heard that the next one (I think the 10i? Can't remember at the moment) is actually pretty easy to modify (for a small internal filter)

Anyways, I hope this helps, if not sorry :) good luck! U will LOVE ur new betta! :) Ooh, and also, look up how to teach them tricks! That is fun :)

Edit (just saw above poster): We def. wanna see pics when u get ur little guy /or girl!!! :)

Last edited by Picasso84; 03-11-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Asking for pics :)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #9 
kyle89

I have the tetra 10i adjustable filter and yes you can open the medium size filter bags! Also the 10i has a cover over the bottom that makes it easier to baffle with a sponge
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #10 
Dene

Thanks for all of the tips, guys!

I'll likely just go filter-less, as I can't see how a bigger filter will fit in my Kritter Keeper. And then when I get a filter and heater for my 10 gal, I'll move the little one over there and possibly end up with a divided tank and two bettas. =o

As for food, I'll check out the Omega One. =3 I'll also look into different plants.