Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #1 
DizzyD

New betta not eating

I got a new betta on Friday. I put him in a 1 gallon until I know he is healthy, but he is not eating. I have tried both top fin betta pellets and dried bloodworms and it seems like he will hesitantly eat the bloodworms. He comes to the opening in the lid when he sees me like he knows I am the one putting food in, but when i put it in he will grab it, then spit it out, grab it and then spit it out. Eventually he gets the blood worms down but after about the second time with the topfin pellets he just ignores them.
I'm not used to this behavior. Sir Reginald would eat anything. he ate the Top fin pellets and loved the worms. He would eat tropical fish flake food and algae wafers too. I'm going to try to find some more things to try tonight. I've heard the Hikari food is good and the omega one as well.

Any other suggestions?
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #2 
sainthogan

Sometimes it takes a week or two for them to settle before they will eat. Give him time. You can try soaking his pellets in garlic juice and see if that works.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you soaking the FD Bloodworms 1st? Also, try Omega One or New Life Spectrum pellets, they are smaller than the Top Fin, don't swell as much & are a better quality. I used to feed the Top Fin but have swtiched to the NLS primarily but also feed the Omega One on occasion. Until you can get a different pellet you might try crushing the Top Fin, I've had that work for some bettas as the Top Fin pellet is pretty big.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #4 
sainthogan

I forgot to add, that if yours is anything like mine, he's extremely picky. He only likes small pellets - he refuses to eat any of the bigger ones. And he only likes them crunchy, not soggy, so soaking his pellets wouldn't work for my guy. But most Bettas like theirs soaked in garlic juice.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #5 
DizzyD

My Petsmart doesn't have a very large selection of foods. I did see on the website that they should have omega one. I will stop by there on my way home from work and see if they have any in stock. If not I might have to drive 20 miles to the next closest fish store...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #6 
DizzyD

I went out and bought the omega one betta buffet pellets during lunch and stopped by the house to try to get him to eat. He spit them out too. Should I just wait and see if he eats them or should I get something else to try?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I would not feed him for a couple of days then try again. My fish took a week before he ate anything.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would try crushing one up to see if he likes smaller pieces. If he doesn't go for that then relax for a couple of days & try again as Olympia suggested.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #9 
JBonez423

I was going to suggest crushing them, like Shellica. Mine are still too small for pellets, so I have to crush them up. Sometimes the shards are a tad too big, and they'll keep taking them and spitting them out.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #10 
DizzyD

He is eating now, although seemingly hesitant to do so... He does seem to recognize me. He sits on the bottom of the tank usually but when I com in the room he comes strait to the top