Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #21 
callistra

I've read..

Your water right out of your tap water is 7.2. Your tank/bowl water is jumping around from 7.4-8.0. This is not okay, as outlined already. It does sound like your water needs to sit a full 24-48 hours to fully stabilize. That means you need to fill up jugs/bowls and let them sit, then find a way to heat them back up before you can use them.

But also.. that gravel changes ph.. letting it sit in a bowl for 24 hours is not going to tell you anything about how much.. means nothing.

So, like I said above, you need to stabilize the ph. If you don't want to replace the gravel, fine. I would still keep an eye on it because it still has a potential to cause problems. But you definietly need to make sure the water sits long enough to stabilize ph before using. Some people's tap water is like this.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #22 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I've read..

Your water right out of your tap water is 7.2. Your tank/bowl water is jumping around from 7.4-8.0. This is not okay, as outlined already. It does sound like your water needs to sit a full 24-48 hours to fully stabilize. That means you need to fill up jugs/bowls and let them sit, then find a way to heat them back up before you can use them.

But also.. that gravel changes ph.. letting it sit in a bowl for 24 hours is not going to tell you anything about how much.. means nothing.

So, like I said above, you need to stabilize the ph. If you don't want to replace the gravel, fine. I would still keep an eye on it because it still has a potential to cause problems. But you definietly need to make sure the water sits long enough to stabilize ph before using. Some people's tap water is like this.
No, you are not understanding....
it is not my tank/bowl. those are 2 separate things.
only 1 time i got pH of 7.2 from tap
for the last 3 days it has been 7.8 from the tap, and 7.8 in the small bowl that i put out (like other poster recommended). and 7.8 in my tank.
the gravel in small bowl with water was also same at 7.8 for 3 days
however, at the end of 3 days both small bowls (gravel and just water) had reading of 8.0
so, it looks like there is NO fluctuation at all, and therefore decided not to change gravel
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #23 
callistra

That's not what you initially said.. but ok.. This is what you've given us so far.. You said your tap is "always" 7.2, and you would do 24 hour bowl tests.. two days later you posted back that the bowl tests were 7.8, and then a day after that you posted that they were now 8.0..

It's not abnormal for tap temp to be one thing, and water to rise once sitting out one day, two days or even 3 days. My personal tap water stabilizes after about 3 days. If your water straight out of the tap without sitting around at all is 7.8, then it should be okay then, but it seemed from your posting you were saying that the water you had sitting in the bowl for two and three days was at 7.8 then 8.0.. So if you were posting the results of LittleBlueFishlets's test that the ph was 7.8 and 8.0 after sitting around a while, then you do have a problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #24 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, since you only had one occurrence of 7.2, let's disregard that. It sounds like something may have been 'off' with this one reading. As long as it doesn't occur again, it sounds like it was just some fluke.

So for three days, the pH in all containers was a very consistent 7.8. That is fine for Bettas. And since the tank value was identical to the bowls, this indicates there is some buffering going on, which is also good.

Then, on the third day, the two bowls both tested at 8.0. So even though the reading was slightly different from the previous days, the bowls still tested identical values. Did you also test the tank on the 3rd day? It would have been interesting to see if that tested at an 8.0 also.

What are you using to test pH? Is it a liquid kit, like the API Master Freshwater Kit? Or are you using test paper strips?

It sounds to me like the issue may be with the testing kit or method. How easily can you differentiate a pH of 7.8 from 8.0 on your test kit?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #25 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
OK, since you only had one occurrence of 7.2, let's disregard that. It sounds like something may have been 'off' with this one reading. As long as it doesn't occur again, it sounds like it was just some fluke.

So for three days, the pH in all containers was a very consistent 7.8. That is fine for Bettas. And since the tank value was identical to the bowls, this indicates there is some buffering going on, which is also good.

Then, on the third day, the two bowls both tested at 8.0. So even though the reading was slightly different from the previous days, the bowls still tested identical values. Did you also test the tank on the 3rd day? It would have been interesting to see if that tested at an 8.0 also.

What are you using to test pH? Is it a liquid kit, like the API Master Freshwater Kit? Or are you using test paper strips?

It sounds to me like the issue may be with the testing kit or method. How easily can you differentiate a pH of 7.8 from 8.0 on your test kit?
I use API liquid kit
tank water after a couple of days has stayed at 7.8 not risen to 8.0...only the 2 bowls did that

Last edited by slug61; 03-14-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #26 
callistra

slug it doesn't matter about the bowls that sat. Like I said, 2 and 3 days isn't long enough to confirm or disprove a change from the gravel.. even the manufacturer states right on their product that it WILL cause an increase over time.. It's just not going to cause some dramatic shift overnight.. you've already decided you don't care..

Now, it only matters to compare the sitting out bowls to the water that was *just* out of the tap, because that's the water you use for a change.. If you take a water sample from the running tap and immediately test it and it's not 7.8 then you have to let the water sit. I don't know how else to say it.. since you won't trust me, I'll just leave you be.

LittleBlueFishlets, your advice is off.. sorry :(

Last edited by callistra; 03-14-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #27 
slug61

Quote:
slug it doesn't matter about the bowls that sat. Like I said, 2 and 3 days isn't long enough to confirm or disprove a change from the gravel.. even the manufacturer states right on their product that it WILL cause an increase over time.. It's just not going to cause some dramatic shift overnight.. you've already decided you don't care..

Now, it only matters to compare the sitting out bowls to the water that was *just* out of the tap, because that's the water you use for a change.. If you take a water sample from the running tap and immediately test it and it's not 7.8 then you have to let the water sit. I don't know how else to say it.. since you won't trust me, I'll just leave you be.

LittleBlueFishlets, your advice is off.. sorry :(
your response is probably why newbies don't come back here.
i don't think there is any need for the attitude.
i just asked a question and wanted an answer.....
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #28 
callistra

I have no attitude. I'm just sharing facts that will help your fish be healthy.. If you are interpreting attitude, then I'm sorry but you should look inward and try to decide why hearing these facts is offensive to you.. Whatever, I'm done here. I'm sorry but your response is why so many old members have given up trying to help new members.. arguing against help and then getting upset when you hear things you don't want to.

Last edited by callistra; 03-15-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #29 
slug61

Quote:
I have no attitude. I'm just sharing facts that will help your fish be healthy.. If you are interpreting attitude, then I'm sorry but you should look inward and try to decide why hearing these facts is offensive to you.. Whatever, I'm done here. I'm sorry but your response is why so many old members have given up trying to help new members.. arguing against help and then getting upset when you hear things you don't want to.
Why would you say i'm arguing against facts/help? I said i thought you misunderstood what i was trying to say. Facts are not offensive. Attitude is offensive. Using language like "whatever" is attitude.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened...with pH tests.
My fish is very healthy, active, has long flowing fins, no discoloration.
I have been following advice...and still looking for more.
If you choose to be "done" that's your prerogative. I'm sure there are many others who are willing to help.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #30 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm, keep testing every few days I suppose.. if it's going from 7.8 to 8.0 I really wouldn't worry too much about it.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote