Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 
Jexx

Low-Moderate Light Plants

Do all Low to moderate light plants get their nutrients from the water column? Or do some get their nutrients from the substrate. If so can someone tell me which plants get their nutrients from where?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #2 
InfiniteGlory

Here is something I just read in another thread. These are all low-light water column feeders

[quote=Bombalurina;1462010]java fern, anachris, java moss, ambulia, cabomba, ludwigia, hornwort, anubias, wisteria, pennywort, bacopa, some crypts, vals...there's heaps of options....quote]
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #3 
Jexx

excellent thank you
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #4 
InfiniteGlory

no problem. I am not sure what root feeder plants are out there. Hopefully someone else will come through and help us out.

I have compact sword, anacharis, anubias, moneywort and water wysteria in my tank. I have always used seachem flourish liquid and my plants seem to like it. I just upgraded my lights too so hopefully everything will finally fill out and not look so sparse.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #5 
Jexx

that kind of substrate do you have?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #6 
valen1014

java fern (mostly from water), anachris (water), java moss (water), ambulia (?), cabomba (water), ludwigia (water), hornwort (water), anubias (roots), wisteria (water/roots), pennywort (root I believe), bacopa (water), some crypts (root), vals (roots)...there's heaps of options

If the plant is considered a "stem plant" it feeds through water column as far as I understand. You can always stick some root tabs for the root feeders. If your tank isn't extremely big, and your plants aren't extremely demanding, root tabs should be just fine. If you see yourself trying out foreground plants a fine substrate would help (like sand or fine gravel).
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #7 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
java fern (mostly from water), anachris (water), java moss (water), ambulia (?), cabomba (water), ludwigia (water), hornwort (water), anubias (roots), wisteria (water/roots), pennywort (root I believe), bacopa (water), some crypts (root), vals (roots)...there's heaps of options

If the plant is considered a "stem plant" it feeds through water column as far as I understand. You can always stick some root tabs for the root feeders. If your tank isn't extremely big, and your plants aren't extremely demanding, root tabs should be just fine. If you see yourself trying out foreground plants a fine substrate would help (like sand or fine gravel).
Thank you. I do intend to have mostly stem plants but I would like some foreground plants. I was hoping to use sand as my substrate. I will be setting up either a 15 or 20 gallon long. This will be my first planted tank and my first tank larger than 5 gallons. If necessary I will have soil with a sand cap but it would be great to just to choose plants that won't require soil. That is what I would prefer to do.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #8 
valen1014

how exciting =] I wish you good luck! I wouldn't worry too much about the soil, especially if the majority of your plants will be stem plants. Root tabs work wonders and you can get the "homemade" types which are much cheaper than store ones and (in my experience) as effective.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #9 
InfiniteGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
that kind of substrate do you have?
black betta sand
Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #10 
Stone

Water sprite is a good moderate light plant, Having a poor root system it derives nutrient mainly from the water, thus a good purifier of the water. This feature is excellent in keeping the aquarium water pure. and it is easy to grow and you can use it's clippings to plant to have more here is a pic of it

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/d...cfm?pCatId=822

Last edited by Stone; 03-12-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote