betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #1 
Pilot00

I think we may have gill flukes

Housing
What size is your tank? - 37 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 27 Celcious
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes but I dont use it regularly because it causes tsunamis.
Is your tank heated? yes adjustable heater and in-water thermometer inside the tank
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I feed him pelets and dried mosquitto lavrae once a week as a treat.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once in the morning.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week - 25%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? approx 1/4 of the water
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None I dont have ready access to any. I leave it for a day and a half to evaporate the chlorine in it.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Pending for tomorrow I dont have the test kit handy. My PH measuring device shows 7.6-7.8.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6-7.8
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Long story short: I woke up today to feed my little fella only to find that he has something akin to white discoloration/scarring? on the side of his gills (white) a white dot on the left gil and white discoloration underneath the mouth (the neck if he was a human). Moreover from certain angles he looks like his face is a bit swollen I think. I ll post some pics tomorrow morning. Although for you pps I think it will be night :(

Anyway his mood hasnt changed. He swims around, plays with the java fern, hides in the rocks etc etc. He comes up when he sees me because he expects his food and he even jumps a bit when i place my fingers above water level. His appetite is the same, devours everything. I cant say for sure if he is gasping though. At times it seems so at others it doesn't. 24years the only disease I had faced in my other various fish were fin rot and ich only.

Any help will be appreciated. I am thinking of starting aquarium salt treatments but will this be enough? Can it be done inside the aquarium? Its a little big.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Pilot00; 03-11-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #2 
callistra

It's not okay not to add conditioner. Letting it sit for 24 hours does not take everything out of tap water. You need to go to your fish store and get a liquid that says it removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals. ANY pet store or store that sells live fish will have it.

Did you fishless cycle the tank? How long has it been set up? Are you using siphon or just scooping water off the top?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #3 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
It's not okay not to add conditioner. Letting it sit for 24 hours does not take everything out of tap water. You need to go to your fish store and get a liquid that says it removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals. ANY pet store or store that sells live fish will have it.

Did you fishless cycle the tank? How long has it been set up? Are you using siphon or just scooping water off the top?
The cycle has been established fish-less for about a year and a half. I should say that I didn't use conditioner on the last two water changes only, cause I await the shipment (apparently in my area I am the only one who buys those and the store run out).I use a siphon and vacuuming the gravel as well with every water change.

Last edited by Pilot00; 03-11-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #4 
callistra

Gray under the chin is a sign of stress (unless it's fuzzy then it's columnaris), and that and the heavier breathing could simply be the lack of conditioner. So I'd just fix that and see how it goes.

Can you show photos?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #5 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Gray under the chin is a sign of stress (unless it's fuzzy then it's columnaris), and that and the heavier breathing could simply be the lack of conditioner. So I'd just fix that and see how it goes.

Can you show photos?
First thing in the next 8 hours, Ill have my phone and the results for the nitrates. Its not greying its whitish actually.

EDIT: I am thinking of rehoming him into a small 5-10 gal and giving him a salt treatment just to be sure. Thoughts? I think the aquarium is too large for it to have any effect right? And it will damage the plant most likely.
I am sounding like a complete idiot right now....

Last edited by Pilot00; 03-11-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #6 
callistra

you shouldn't put aquarium salt in a tank with plants.

IDK about moving him.. because then with all the fresh water you have an even higher dose of whatever toxins are in the water and that could make it worse.