Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 
JBonez423

Baby Bettas!

I'm super excited today. Just got home from Petco with a brand new baby betta and a bigger tank for Floyd. I wanted a 10 gallon tank with a divider, but I ended up having to order it online. Kind of sucks, considering I didn't even think of it and dropped forty bucks for the little tank.. but what are you going to do, right? Anyway, they're side by side at the moment, getting acclimated to each other.. when I talked to the guy at Petco, he told me it was likely Floyd is male, so I tried to go for a female this time (trusting gut instinct here, since I love getting the babies & they're all a mixed bag.) I don't know if they'll even be compatible to breed, but whatever. Call me crazy, but I love being surprised.

Anyway, the "female", who I'm thinking of naming Cali, seems to be marbled. She was probably the smallest, and least vibrant one there, but I'm all for turning ugly ducklings into swans. She was also the only marbled one I saw. So basically my questions are, could this clue me into her type, or is marbling something that can happen in all betta types? I'm really interested to see how she might color up. She almost looks slightly pink, but then I can almost see some blue. I have no idea. She's acclimating pretty well, swimming around curiously. I'll bet she's happy to be stretching her fins after being in that little cup.

And now for lots of pictures!

Floyd; my Nikon definitely doesn't do his coloring justice. The Instagram photos (the first two) are a more accurate representation of his coloring. It looks like he might end up royal blue with red fins... crossing my fingers on that one.

Name:  602700_518751441509200_245735511_n.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  522746_518791594838518_1021229398_n.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2089.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  47.9 KB

Aaaaaaaaand Cali!

Name:  DSCN2097.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  DSCN2098.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  57.9 KB

Hopefully she colors up nicely! I'm curious how she'll end up. I'll be sure to post more as she progresses. I had forgotten how small they were, Floyd has more than doubled in size since I got him two weeks ago! Can't wait to watch them both grow.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
Tabbie82

They are so pretty! I was in Petco yesterday and saw a baby that I was very tempted to bring home. I like the idea of not really knowing what you are getting, but I also don't have room for a new fishy right now. I can't wait to see how yours grow up! I'm not very familiar with marbles, but someone posted an article in a different thread that I found very interesting:
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1114

You may have already seen it, but in case you haven't, you might find it interesting too.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 
JBonez423

Thanks! ^.^ I'm actually new to this site, and this is the first time I've been so active with Bettas, so I appreciate any links/articles/whatnot. I was really tempted by a couple beautiful males, but the babies are super intriguing. And they're so young, I almost feel bad leaving them there lol I would bring them all home if I could!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #4 
Tabbie82

You're welcome! I know what you mean about bringing them all home. I kept looking at that one yesterday and thinking about how small it was and how I know I can give it a good home. You never know who they might go home with.... Strange how I get so protective of the little fishies! The site I linked to has lots of good articles. Some of them are old, but there's still some good info in there. Welcome to the forum, BTW. Most everyone here is very friendly and happy to help with any questions.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #5 
mattoboy

Love Cali!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 
JBonez423

Tabbie; definitely know what you mean! I never thought I could get so attached to fish, but they're so fascinating. Thanks very much for everything! =] So far, I like the people on here. I'm excited to learn more and more about these guys!

Matto; thanks! ^.^