Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #1 
CrazyDiamond

He Hates Everything . . .

Today marks the first whole month I have had my betta, Pink Floyd. I don't know how many of you saw his "Temper Tantrum" video that LadyVictorian posted but Floyd freaks out when I turn off his lights at night like he doesn't want to go to sleep. But now he has decided as of about a week ago that he just hates everything in my room, including me. He swims back and forth all flared up and angry, stops every so often to charge the glass and flare at one side of the room. His fins are really tattered now, resembling the sails of a pirate ship or something. His fins are healing however and I have been advised not to use Melafix, luckily I only used it twice before someone told me not too. But I took out and meticulously trimmed all my silk plants and then tied them so Floyd can't swim between the stems, only around the plants.
I have started covering Floyd's tank and he is much calmer and happier now and enjoys exploring his tank, especially foraging from the bottom which is something I have never seen him do before. I only covered the side of the tank he reacts to the most. If he's happy then I'm happy but as you can see his tank is not very aesthetically pleasing now :/ but since he's calmed down I have noticed his fins are healing which makes me very happy. But I have tried slowly uncovering his tank a few times and he absolutely loses his mind -_- could this be an adolescent thing that he will grow out of or will he just be perpetually angry?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77 at night and gets up to 79-80 during the day
Does your tank have a filter? Yes and it is properly cycled
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No other animals, just live and silk plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega flakes, bloodworms once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every 12 hours except on Fridays when I fast him

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every Friday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner then plant fertilizer and C02 booster

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: soft (test is hard to read but it's less than 1dGH or about 100ppm)
Alkalinity: Haven't tested recently, but I put in a minuscule amount of aquarium salt last week to help with the fin tears, was afraid to add much more than a pinch so it's probably doing nothing lol

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are healing and there are no new tears thankfully
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Erratic, frantic and angry or possible fearful of something in the room, he seems to flare at everything as a whole so I haven't a clue what he is flaring at.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Five days ago, covered his tank after one day and he calmed down
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Have added a tiny bit of salt, stopped using Melafix and Bettafix and covered his tank
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not ill just temperamental and self destructive lol
How old is your fish (approximately)? I would guess about 3-5 months
Attached Images

CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

In the video you posted it looks like he is actually just defending his bubblenest. I had males that used to act very aggressively towards me if you came near their nest (I am assuming that all those bubbles are a nest).

Is the bubblenest still there? It could be that is why he is still acting crazy. I can see it in the photos but don't know how recent they are.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #3 
CrazyDiamond

Ya know what, he didn't start getting aggressive until he built this last nest, he is a builder lol right after I clean his tank he starts another one.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

That is probably the reason he is being so aggressive. Some males just get really territorial, and that is a pretty impressive nest. '

Maybe try and remove some/all of his nest and see if he doesn't calm down.

Sounds like he may just be a very overprotective and slightly neurotic boy.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #5 
CrazyDiamond

I've had neurotic animals in the past, it's usually a sign of poor breeding lol he's perfectly fine with the tank covered up and in a few days he will more than likely lose interest in maintaining the nest and let it shrink, I can uncover him then and see if his behavior has improved, thanks ;)
His last nest took up one whole side of the tank so he is just as obsessive as he is protective lol
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

He's such a quirky boy xD you just got to love Floyd for his crazyness.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #7 
CrazyDiamond

He is psycho fish xD
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I moved one of my extremely friendly males to another tank once. For the next couple of days he flared at everything. Me, his food, the fish next door, the cat walking past his tank.

They can be such quirky little fish at times. I guess that is why we love them though. Without all that aggressiveness and character, they would be fairly boring to watch.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #9 
CrazyDiamond

Indeed, it can just be a little frustrating at times. I was assured his erratic swimming was not the cause of his torn fins and yet the more he swam the more damage he caused and now that he has calmed down his fins are definitely on the mend :D But i love talking to him and watching him, he's great company in this tiny dorm room xD
Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #10 
waterdog

He just believes in defending his home like any good American!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erratic behavior angry