Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 
TeteRouge

Frozen Bloodworms?

I just added 2 more bettas to my 3x divided 10g on Sat. evening. With the exitement (naturally ) and hope that they will thrive always comes concern over eating..

My new Double Tail is fiesty, curious, and seems to only want to eat frozen bloodworm...Served in front of him with tweezers... (I'll handfeed pellets or even brine shrimp by hand, but I draw the line..)

The new Fire Dragon PK doesn't touch them. I've finally just gotten him to eat 2 Omega 1 Pellets (yay) and just noticed he does forage around the bottom of the tank.

My EE will eat anything (ok, he will spit out a TetraBetta pellet unless he's starving)

I got Hikari Bio-Pure Frozen Bloodworms, and of course even feeding them to my other tanks there is still a lot of waste. The other fish shouldn't have them daily anyway. I thaw the cube in a special cup with filtered water. As soon as I've fed Lord Fauntleroy (not his name, just his attitude, lol) I seal it, double baggie it and refrigerate it. I'm hoping to wean him off of them at least to the point they are just a treat.

How long can I keep the thawed/refrigerated Bloodworms? I hoping 48 hrs? I wouldnt risk any more. Even then I'll be wasting a lot of it, but I don't want sick fish either.

Thanks

Last edited by TeteRouge; 03-11-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: don't know when to shut it, lol
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #2 
bniebetta

I don't know how long you can keep them refrigerated, but the way I do it is just keep them frozen and break the amount I want off with a fork to thaw. My red veiltail was an extremely picky eater and wouldn't even consider eating until I offered him bloodworms. I started softening the pellets in water before feeding them to him and he ended up eating them just fine, so either they were to big or too hard for him. Maybe you could break a pellet into tiny pieces and put it in with the bloodworms and he might mistake it for a bloodworm and end up liking it. I would also just keep trying different brands; my other fish loves the freeze dried dial-a-treat stuff even though the vieltail refused to eat it. If there is one thing I have learned about bettas, it is that they are extremely picky (this morning mine flipped out and scared me half to death because he was terrified of the color of my nail polish, of all things!).
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #3 
Blue Fish

I haven't tried with the bloodworms, but I keep the frozen brine shrimp for a few months or more at a time. I've got two who eat the shrimp at most meals, so I get a few packages of them at a time. I just break cut off a cube, thaw it, feed it, and put the rest back in the freezer. I would imagine it's like food for humans, and can be frozen for some time before having any spoilage (or more likely freezerburn) issues. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 
TeteRouge

Thanks for the responses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I don't know how long you can keep them refrigerated, but the way I do it is just keep them frozen and break the amount I want off with a fork.... I would also just keep trying different brands.....
Yes, I think that the reason they are most often "wet pets" is that they are such characters! I don't know why I didn't think of a fork , thanks! I had tried quartering the cube with a knife, and ended up with these chopped up tiny pieces which went all over the tank. Not good, wasted live/frozen food will foul a tank in no time. A fork won't chop :).

BTW, Mr. Double Tail took a couple of Omega 1 Betta Buffet pellets this morning. Being hungry changes the attitude, lol. Turned his nose up at the NLS Thera+A, yet, but progess! He got a couple of worms for dessert.

Mr Fire Dragon ate 1 NLS and a couple of Omega 1s. He decided he liked bloodworms, too, so I think we're over the first obstacles. And Mr EE (who I've had for several weeks) as usual ate everything, and nipped my finger when I wasn't fast enough, lol!

I realised the new guys never had their food move, other than dropping the couple of inches to the bottom of their cup. Certainly not falling 8-9 inches, or floating lazily in a current. So I've been shutting off the baffled filters and removing the tank top. (The older one would go after his food in a waterfall, lol) Already they are learning that's food time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I haven't tried with the bloodworms, but I keep the frozen brine shrimp for a few months or more at a time....I just break cut off a cube, thaw it, feed it, and put the rest back in the freezer. I would imagine it... can be frozen for some time before having any spoilage (or more likely freezerburn) issues. :)
Yes, I use the Spirolina Brine Shrimp with my SA and African cichlids :) I got the bloodworms as I saw them highly recommended. I don't tell my non-fishy friends I keep fish food in the freezer (freezer bagged of course) How about you, LOL?

Thanks again!
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloodworms, hikari