betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #1 
thekath

Pet Store Betta with Severe Fin Rot

Housing
What size is your tank? 0.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76 F
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? n/a housed alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betamin Tropical Granules.
How often do you feed your betta fish? haven't fed yet but plan on 2-3 granules twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? currently daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Aquarium Salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: n/a haven't tested
Alkalinity: n/a haven't tested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fish is missing nearly all of its fins. Doesn't look like body rot yet, but there is fungus on the body and mouth.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? n/a don't know
When did you start noticing the symptoms? earlier today when I first saw the fish, but clearly this is not new.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, with 1 teaspoon of API Aquarium Salt in 0.5 gallons of water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? n/a don't know

Earlier today I was at the store picking up some things for my aquarium when I spotted a Betta in a little cup. The poor dude has almost no fins to speak of (I'm not even sure if it is male or female!). So, of course, I had to take it home.
The trouble is that I'm not particularly familiar with Bettas (I have Tetras and a Hatchet fish). I'd love some advice on treating this severe fin rot as well as sexing the fish. I know the hospital tank is a little small, but I would like to add the Betta to my 10 gallon with the 4 Tetras and 1 Hatchet fish. If that isn't an option, I also have an empty 3 gallon which I could use after the fish is better.
So, long story short: any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thekath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Pictures? And betamin is bad food. This could be columnaris.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #3 
callistra

He needs some real meds. How are you monitoring the temperature? Do you have an in tank thermometer?

I would look for Kanaplex and possibly combine it with Furan 2 - would have to be diluted for this size. We can help with that when you get the meds. If you can't find that look for Triple Sulfa. If you can't find that get Maracyn and Maracyn 2 to use in combo.

You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #4 
thekath

Here is a photo of the fish. The plastic is a little scratched/dirty on the outside. No worries though, it's my hospital tank so I sanitize the inside with bleach diluted with warm water. Most of the white is on the fish.

Additionally, I mistyped the food originally. I was going to use Tetramin which is what I feed my other tropical fish. I will go to the store tomorrow to get a more suitable food if that isn't good.

To monitor the temperature I've been using the in-water thermometer I use in my other tank (again, don't worry, I sanitize before and after). I know that Bettas like water to be warmer, so I've been keeping the tank in the living room away from windows and drafts.

I will go to the store tomorrow and look for the meds. I really should've had an emergency kit for my other tank, but I've just been so lucky with my fish that I never got around to it.

Thank you for your replies!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #5 
thekath

Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #6 
thekath

Update: I remembered I had a little heater from a few years ago lying around. If I recall correctly, it has an auto shutoff at 78 degrees. It is now in the tank with the Betta.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #7 
callistra

Unfortunately, you I can't see your photos.

You need to acclimate the betta slowly. If you just stick it in and let it go you will shock him.. Remove him while the tank heats up - plastic solo type cup. Then float him in the cup in the main tank while it's fully heated for about an hour, then add a couple tablespoons of the tank water to the cup every 10 minutes to make sure the heat is fully equalized before releasing.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #8 
thekath

Here is another try with the photo.

I have the Betta in a solo cup in the tank at present.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #9 
thekath

Attached Images

Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #10 
callistra

I don't know where you're trying to post the photo from but that doesn't work either. Try going to advanced mode and attaching it.\

ETA: Oh I see the second one.. but it's like an inch wide on my screen.. I can't see really

Tags
fin rot damage, quarantine tank, rescue betta