Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #1 
technofox

Betta keeps on resting on plastic tree

Hi All,

I am not sure what is going on with my Betta. He keeps on resting on his plastic tree a lot more than usual and has not been producing bubble nests over the last few days. As of right now he is moving around his tank trying to get to the snail's algae food and appears to be okay, but I am not sure if this is any cause for concern.

Tank Size: 2.5 gallons
Heater: Yes
Temp: ~78F
Filter: Yes
Last Change: Last week's Wednesday when I caught the snail floating in the tank did 50% water change.
Have no test kit, but plan to get one this Thursday so no idea on pH; however, the snail being the sensitive boy that he is, is acting fine (the snail floats when its time to change the water, it makes life easy ).

Other than that, I regularly use the turkey baster to get old snail food out of the bottom of the tank. The carbon filter cartridge caught most of the left others and will need to be changed in another week or so.
technofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #2 
callistra

He's probably suffering from high ammonia and/or nitrite. Waiting for your snail to act sick is a BAD way to determine water change schedule.

Most people will tell you that you can't ever fully cycle a tank this small, despite your filter, and you will always need these twice weekly changes of 50% and 100%.. you can try, but careful daily monitoring and reliable test kits should be used. You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon or new fresh turkey baster that has never seen chems is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever. I actually suggest a turkey baster or very small siphon because your tank is so small an average siphon will remove water too quickly.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by twice weekly 50% change with baster/siphon. However, cycling will take up to two months to complete and many if not most people will tell you that you can't cycle a tank of this size and you will always need twice weekly 50% and 100% water changes or you will always see ammonia continuing to build and the cycle will never finish..

At this point I would keep up the regular 50% and 100% weekly changes until you can test.

This talks all about the problems with smaller filters and replacing all the filter media at the same time: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....on#post1424758
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #3 
technofox

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
He's probably suffering from high ammonia and/or nitrite. Waiting for your snail to act sick is a BAD way to determine water change schedule.

Most people will tell you that you can't ever fully cycle a tank this small, despite your filter, and you will always need these twice weekly changes of 50% and 100%.. you can try, but careful daily monitoring and reliable test kits should be used. You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon or new fresh turkey baster that has never seen chems is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever. I actually suggest a turkey baster or very small siphon because your tank is so small an average siphon will remove water too quickly.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by twice weekly 50% change with baster/siphon. However, cycling will take up to two months to complete and many if not most people will tell you that you can't cycle a tank of this size and you will always need twice weekly 50% and 100% water changes or you will always see ammonia continuing to build and the cycle will never finish..

At this point I would keep up the regular 50% and 100% weekly changes until you can test.

This talks all about the problems with smaller filters and replacing all the filter media at the same time: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....on#post1424758
I just cleaned his tank using the turkey baster and went to bed last night and woke up this morning to this:
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #4 
technofox

One other note about the image above. The bubble nest goes from the front left most side of the tank going from 1 cm across in width to the huge bubble nest depicted in the picture about 2 x 3 inches across, and it continues on all the way down to the right side and back

Oddly enough he appears to still be working on the nest and is now flairing just fine. I never changed the water, just got rid of as much crap on the bottom as possible. Totally awesome

Thanks for your help. I will likely change his water again in a few more days, but I am going to keep up with they turkey baster since that seemed to do the trick.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #5 
callistra

But you didnt' actually do any water changes.. you need to.. as outlined above.

Turkey baster will help keep the ammonia from building up as fast. It removes nothing. Only water changes will do this.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #6 
technofox

Quote:
But you didnt' actually do any water changes.. you need to.. as outlined above.

Turkey baster will help keep the ammonia from building up as fast. It removes nothing. Only water changes will do this.
I am planning on cleaning it soon this week.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #7 
callistra

You've only had one 50% water change in about a week.. who knows how long before then.. he's got ammonia issues. You shouldn't wait
Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #8 
technofox

Quote:
You've only had one 50% water change in about a week.. who knows how long before then.. he's got ammonia issues. You shouldn't wait
I am going to prep for a water change tomorrow. I wish I had a test kit to be sure
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #9 
technofox

I finally had a chance to change is water. The water in the aquarium smelled caustic (and made me almost cough)

I am GLAD that I listened to you against the advice of my fiance. Best way to get around an argument was to do it is when she is asleep

He seems to acting better, but it's late and I have to go back to bed. I will keep you posted.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #10 
kyle89

Best to get a liquid test kit asap. Will really help out!!
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote