Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #1 
Tabbie82

Lightbulb Ideas/Suggestions?

I'm not completely sure where to post this... When I bought Dagger, he was sold to me in a vase, which is where he had been living his whole life until then. He now lives in a ten gallon tank by himself.

Now I have this vase hanging around and would like to do something interesting with it, and use it as my dining table centerpiece. It maybe holds 1/2 a gallon. My java fern has a a few babies on the tips of its leaves. I was wondering about planting the vase (starting with the baby java fern) and possibly, in the future, getting a couple of shrimp to live in it.

I have no idea how to keep live plants alive in a vase without fish. Or if that is even a suitable environment for plants or inverts? If anyone has any experience with this and can offer advice, I would appreciate it!

Also, I am completely open to suggestions on things to do with the vase. Since I want to use it as a centerpiece I am not interesting in having anything in it that needs to be plugged in. It would get natural sunlight during the day, as it will be near my kitchen window. Thanks for your help and ideas!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #2 
Tabbie82

Would it help if I posted a picture of the vase?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

I don't know if this will help, but this thread details a project of mine that is similar. :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=130323
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #4 
Tabbie82

Thanks Bombalurina! I read through your thread. It looks like your plants weren't doing real good in the jar the last time you posted. How are they now? I'm unclear on how to keep the plants alive in the vase. I know they need nutrients somehow. Did you use plant food or anything? They should get plenty of light on my table. Maybe I'm making it too complicated. Also, I've never kept shrimp or snails, but I am considering adding one or the other eventually, if I can keep the plants alive! Any advice you can offer on that? I appreciate your help.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 
TwilightNite

I have Java fern in my 2.5 gallon and my 10 gallon. In my tank even with plenty of sun, water changes and happy Bettas swimming around my Java fern was having trouble growing and staying healthy... But what helped mine perk up and stay healthy was root tabs, which is an underwater plant fertilizer. You can get it off of amazon or you can find it in your local pet store... But just as a heads up if you do use root tabs what happened with mine is for about a day the water turned a yellow color but then cleared up the next day. So, if this happens to you don't be alarmed, it's normal. I totally freaked out the first time I used them and was in quite a panic because I could not find out what caused yellow water all of a sudden. But then figured it out... after 20 minutes of panicking.

Last edited by TwilightNite; 03-12-2013 at 02:03 PM.
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I think there are a number of problems with mine:
- rapid temperature fluctuations due to our crazy climate here
- extremes of temperature (water has been as cold as 10C and as hot as 30C)
- lack of nutrients to start, though I have given it a bit of Flourish now
- not enough light - natural sunlight, even direct sunlight, didn't seem to be enough for the elodea.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #7 
Tabbie82

Ok, well, the root tabs sound like a good idea. Thanks for suggesting that, TwilightNite! Will those work on plants that take nutrients directly from the water column and aren't planted into the substrate? It kinda sounds like it is going to be a trial and error experiment. I'm like you, Bombalurina, no money really invested in it so far, so if I kill my little baby java fern, it won't be too big of a deal. I just need some patience, I suppose. I have this vision in my head of a lovely planted vase with little shrimp living in it, entertaining me at the dinner table and I want it to look like I imagine RIGHT NOW. Patience is a virtue, at least, that's what I've been told! So I will work on it and see what I get. Thanks for the info and if you think of anything else that would be good for me to know, I'd love to hear it!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

You could do a terrarium instead of aquatic plants.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #9 
Tabbie82

I did consider doing a terrarium, and may still, if I decide that the aquatic plants are better off in my tank.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #10 
ZubinBetta

Have you tried a Marimo moss ball? I have heard that they just need bi-weekly changes of water and to be shifted in position to catch the light--so that they remain round. I've seen them sold as purveyors of good luck that people even name!
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote