Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 
EmmyFishyPoo

No Heater :(

So I have 2, 1.5 gallon tanks. They both have awesome filters, are cleaned 50% every friday, are facing a heat vent and are located up against an outside wall. Both fish are happy and (as far as I can see) healthy. The one boy is new (as of yesterday :D) But my other guy has a bubble nest built and is very agressive. Both flare and do not seem to have clamped up fins and are very active. Anyways! My mom has this thing... She thinks bettas live in small puddles and therefore refuses to buy heaters. *Sigh* I did point out they live in water in thiland (sp?) and indoisia (again sp?) where it is warm. we are in canada...so what could I possibly do to convince her and make up for the absence of a heater?
Thank you guys :)
ps. I ask that you dont judge on the size of tanks...I dont have my summer job and sadly have no money for a bigger tank.. grrr.
EmmyFishyPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

You could try joining free cycle:

http://www.freecycle.org/group/ca/

To get something for free you have to give something away so first find something useful to give away and you post it. Then go back and post for the aquarium heaters. You try letting them know it's for a kid that makes folks more likely to reply. Someone might have some they don't need anymore.

You will have to get your mom to be willing to pick them up. Maybe if they are free she will be willing to do it. If you have garage that needs cleaning out maybe if you offer to gather stuff to give away she will appreciate the effort. It's not guaranteed you get one but if your mom sees your determination maybe it will sway her.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #3 
EmmyFishyPoo

Thats so smart! :D I will check it out thank you :) You see the thing isnt so much she wont buy one (found a small good one at wallymart for 16$) Its that she is clinging onto it being "un nessasary" and wont give up the argument... shes also under quite a bit of stress :/ oh well I will check this out so thank you very much :)
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

You are correct that bettas come from Thailand, which is, after all, an equatorial country. Water temperature in areas where bettas are found can be as high as 84F. Bettas can grow lethargic, colourless and lack appetite in water under 75.
Gouramis and loaches come from the same waters, and nobody keeps them without heaters.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

I go through the same thing with my mother every time I change the water (I have 7 tanks)..."why do you have to change it so often..its not dirty"
However, I am 34 and just ignore her.

You can print this and show her. I don't remember who made it though.

or maybe you can print out and get her to read the "myths" stickie? Those "puddles" are huge rice paddies.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=8923

I have heard of people eeping them on top of refridgerators as the heat from the fridge will warm the tank?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-11-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #6 
callistra

It's really important to keep bettas on interior walls away from vents.. otherwise you will have temp fluctuations that are hard on them, and can even be lethal.

Are you using a glass in tank thermometer to monitor the temperature? It should be a steady and unchanging temp between 78-80F.

I think you should just point her to this site.. Maybe if she reads stuff she will understand.

You can't cycle a tank of this size. There's just not enough surface space to breed a proper biofilter. I actually suggest removing the filter because in something so small your boy just can't get a break from the current.

You need to be changing it at least twice weekly 50% and 100%. The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.

If you really want to try cycling, You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon or new fresh turkey baster that has never seen chems is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever. I actually suggest a turkey baster or very small siphon because your tank is so small an average siphon will remove water too quickly.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by twice weekly 50% change with baster/siphon. However, cycling will take up to two months to complete and many if not most people will tell you that you can't cycle a tank of this size and you will always need twice weekly 50% and 100% water changes or you will always see ammonia continuing to build and the cycle will never finish.. I don't think there's any chance for this to ever establish unless you majorly modify the filter with lots of extra sponges, and then maybe
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I plan to share it alot!
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #8 
EmmyFishyPoo

Thank you. So I showed my mom the poster an she said (and I quote) "Bull**** its a fish Emily. your old fish lived 3 years with no heater blah blah blah. Im not spending another penny on these tanks get your dad to pay" Sadly my dad has paid for 70% of my setups :( oh well.... you adults are so hard to understand! :P thank you for the information Callistra. I plan to research more on this as I dont quite understand all the Ph ammonia nitrite science lol :p Another thing my mom is against is water changes. She thinks they will drop dead if i move them :/ Dont get me wrong you guys, my mom is awsome and I love her to peices but keep in mind im a young teen and she is my mom. I am planning in summer to save my money and buy a (at least) 10g and secton it off.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #9 
EmmyFishyPoo

Oh and I thought id share my water change routine while im at it. So I unplug the filter, take a yougurt cup and take out all the water, leaving enough for him for get around in so like.... maybe 80% taken out. then I take room temp (distilled) water. and pour it in. (at this point i take out my plants/ornaments and rinse them). I then stir up the gravel and clear the rocks away from the filter. Then I take the filter cartridige (sp?) and rinse it off. then put it all back together and (if needed) wipe off the glass.:)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but distilled water is bad for bettas as it has no minerals etc(?). Tap water with conditioner is the way to go.

I know how it can be fighting parental opinions on fish - I had to do the same a long time ago as my parents believed the petshop, not the internet. I'm 22 now and spend so much time doing fish things that people just believe me now. :p

Have you asked your mum why she thinks what she does? Is it because a petshop has said it? If a forum of dedicated enthusiasts/breeders/experts can't convince her, perhaps a book would do it?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote