Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #21 
Picasso84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
That's why the flattery part has to come first. I'm in marketing & one of the things I've learned is to be so nice someone wants to say yes to you. Give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen...she says no.

Good luck. I know we adults can be a pain when we get so caught up in responsibilities we forget to chill out & listen to our kids sometimes. I just tell my kids that my brain fell out with them when I gave birth so i need lots of reminders & that they can't expect too much from me, lol.
Lol, that's funny! I might have to tell my mom that! :) she would love it! And, speaking of my mom, Emmyfishypoo.... I can tell u from experience, both with my mom & dad (my dad is very stubborn like ur mom is) when I was younger, and from (recent years) advice I've gotten from my mom (who is very knowledgeable when it comes to social etiquette) fishymom's advice is good advice... Flattery :) then ask for help from the all-powerful, all-knowing mom :) I'm 28 now, & I'm just now realizing how knowledgable she is! Lol Good Luck!! :)

If u still don't have a heater in the next couple weeks, I wil be having an extra one, when I switch out my small tank to a larger one :) u can pm me if u still need one by then :)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #22 
EmmyFishyPoo

YAY!!!!! You guys!!!!

So Me and my dad have been collecting money in a little tin for well over 2 years now. This weekend we took it into the bank and it amounted to lots more than we expected! So we split the profits and I have a fair amont of spending money. :D So I went out and bought:
Name:  20130317_164809.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  52.2 KB

I talked to my friend in the petstore (who also is into bettas) And explained my problem. She then pulled out a heater made for 1/2 to 1 1/2 gallon tanks She said she uses it with her bettas. So then I bought a thermometer and Omega One food (With lots of seafood ingredients)

So is there anything I should know about Introducing Peck to a heater? If it works okay I will go back and buy one for Lewi too :)
Thanks guys!
EmmyFishyPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #23 
Bombalurina

Take him out, put the heater in, let it get up to 78-82, then reacclimatise Peck like you only just bought him. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #24 
EmmyFishyPoo

Okay! Thanks :)
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #25 
VJM

That's awesome! Little bits of cash can really add up. A great lesson for all of us to remember.

Make sure you test the heater in a bucket of water for 24 hours before putting it in the tank. Let's you find out if it will hold a decent temperature, or if it is defective.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #26 
Fishy Mom

Yay! I'm glad it worked out for you. Your Dad sounds very fair & sensible.

I have that same heater for my 1g baby & hospital tanks. It has worked great for me.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #27 
EmmyFishyPoo

Okay! update! So I read the instructions on the instruction manual (before reading your answers *whoops*) I let the heater sit for about 20-30 minutes before plugging it in. When i plugged it in it slowly went up over the course of the night. It is now sitting at 80 degrees. Is this okay for a tank? keeping in mind Its not adjustable. Also It evaporates the water sooooooo fast! just over night it evaporated to at least 1cm below the minimum water line. jeeez So I filled it back up and pushed it down slightly so that the water is well past the minimum water line. Im also experiencing lots of condensation on the lid of the tank Oh well! If its keeping my fish warm I suppose its okay right?! I am picking up another heater + thermometer for lewis today as well
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #28 
VJM

When you say "let it sit" was that in water? Most heaters will short circuit if used out of the water. If it was in water, just keep an eye on it. If you let it sit warm up outside of the water, read your directions and make sure that is ok.

Great job on giving your betta a nice warm home!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #29 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyFishyPoo View Post
Okay! update! So I read the instructions on the instruction manual (before reading your answers *whoops*) I let the heater sit for about 20-30 minutes before plugging it in. When i plugged it in it slowly went up over the course of the night. It is now sitting at 80 degrees. Is this okay for a tank? keeping in mind Its not adjustable. Also It evaporates the water sooooooo fast! just over night it evaporated to at least 1cm below the minimum water line. jeeez So I filled it back up and pushed it down slightly so that the water is well past the minimum water line. Im also experiencing lots of condensation on the lid of the tank Oh well! If its keeping my fish warm I suppose its okay right?! I am picking up another heater + thermometer for lewis today as well
That heater keeps my 1g tanks at a consistant 80 degrees too & my fish love it. Let me know how your fishies like their warmer homes.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #30 
EmmyFishyPoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
When you say "let it sit" was that in water? Most heaters will short circuit if used out of the water. If it was in water, just keep an eye on it. If you let it sit warm up outside of the water, read your directions and make sure that is ok.

Great job on giving your betta a nice warm home!
I mean I let it sit in the water to adjust to the water tempurature