Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #1 
JBonez423

Baby Betta Help? Need some experts! (Lots of pics)

I posted a thread similar to this earlier, so forgive me if you already came across it. This one will have more pictures, anyway. So! Here's the sitch. Two weeks ago, I went to Petco for a betta and stumbled across the babies. I instantly fell for these poor little creatures. I just felt so bad that fish so young and small were trapped in a tiny cup. And they didn't seem to sell all that fast, seeing as they're pretty much colorless and difficult to see (about half an inch long). So I took home a teeny little betta that was slightly tinted blue, hoping I had a male. Named him Floyd. The picture I took was a couple hours after I got him home, he colored up almost immediately! Poor guy.

Name:  539674_511636212220723_1190071331_n.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  38.2 KB

Two weeks later, he is doing awesome. His color has really deepened and come out, you can hardly see his stripes unless I'm doing a water change, and he's more than doubled in size. He's really active, and comes right up to my finger when I feed him. I feed him crushed pellets and flakes that have brine shrimp, and he eats two pellets per feeding every time. I'm no expert, but I've estimated him to be 6 weeks old.

Name:  602700_518751441509200_245735511_n.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  DSCN2089.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  47.9 KB
The flash from my Nikon really washed him out and turned him turquoise.

I was so happy with my success, and the amazing feeling of really raising my own baby betta, that I went back to Petco and purchased the smallest one there. I wanted a female, but have a weird feeling it's going to turn out being a male. Nevertheless, I named her Cali in hope, because of her coloring. So far, she's very lively as well. She has no baby stripes whatsoever, I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because she's marbled? Anyway, I'm extremely curious to see what color she ends up being. I'm guessing she's 4 weeks. She's about half an inch.

Name:  DSCN2115.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  64.6 KB
Name:  DSCN2114.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  72.8 KB
Name:  DSCN2097.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  53.8 KB

So my questions are, I know they're young, but if anyone can tell me what their age, sex, breed, etc. might possibly be, it would be much appreciated. I'm extremely excited and cannot wait to see how they turn out! Thanks in advance for any help! Peace!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #2 
JBonez423

=[ Lots of views, but no one wants to help? Lol I'll take whatever I can get, guys!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #3 
Fishy Mom

I have the day off so I'll take a guess, but I'm horrible at guessing the sex of babies. Floyd looks like a girl & Cali looks like a boy. Again, don't take my word for it. I have a baby that I kept for someone else until we were sure he was healthy. I swore it was a girl, but last night he blew his first little bubble nest. It was adorable!

When they go through their growth spurt check for an egg spot & a fat belly. Some boys can have a fake egg spot, but I accidently confirmed one baby girl after her growth spurt by her breeding stripes since her & my adult male could see each other. They were doing a breeding dance, but I wasn't ready to be a fishy grandmother yet, lol.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #4 
JBonez423

=] Thanks for the help! The more I watch them, the more I'm beginning to think they'll both end up on males, although I'm almost certain Cali has an egg spot... Floyd is becoming darker and more vivid by the second, though. Hmm. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently!

I hate that petco couldn't even tell me the age of the baby bettas. I'll have to look around online and see what age our petco normally gets them at.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #5 
ashleigheperry

They're adorable. ;m;
Wish I could help out - good luck!
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #6 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleigheperry View Post
They're adorable. ;m;
Wish I could help out - good luck!
Thanks very much. ^.^ Proud mommy over here for sure lol.

Oh, and just a general update, both are doing great this morning. I don't know if it's because I got him a bowl with a changing light, but Floyd seems a much darker blue today, and his head looks to be turning black! Cali is active as can be, came right up to me for breakfast and seems to have acclimated nicely to her bowl.

Also, I don't know if this indicates anything or if this is normal betta behavior, but Floyd has been popping up to the surface, grabbing air and then releasing it, like he's trying to make a bubble nest but isn't quite sure what he's doing yet. Anyone know what age they start making them?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #7 
sainthogan

Some males, especially young ones, have white spots that resemble egg spots. And some females, mine included, build bubble nests. Although my female's nests aren't nearly as big or as planned out as my male's nests. Hers are small and randomly placed, usually about the size of a quarter or smaller and all over the surface in her tank. His are large and usually around his plants or his heater. Some males even get what look like breeding stripes.
So as far as sexing them goes, it will probably take a while longer before you can tell for sure. They sure are cute though.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #8 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Some males, especially young ones, have white spots that resemble egg spots. And some females, mine included, build bubble nests. Although my female's nests aren't nearly as big or as planned out as my male's nests. Hers are small and randomly placed, usually about the size of a quarter or smaller and all over the surface in her tank. His are large and usually around his plants or his heater. Some males even get what look like breeding stripes.
So as far as sexing them goes, it will probably take a while longer before you can tell for sure. They sure are cute though.
Nuts lol I'll just have to be patient, then. Thank you! =]