Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #1 
txbettaowner

Exclamation Stressed female crowntail

The problem I have is my female crowntail always has stressed (horizontal) lines on her except for after she eats. She is in a 10g tank with 2 veiltails. No nipping or chasing. They are just fine together. They get along. I did 100% water change a week ago. She is healthy as far as I can tell. Could she have a parasite or ulcer that would make her stress marks go away after she eats? What can I do to get her to stop stressing or get rid of what ever is internally wrong with her? Please I need help.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #2 
Jexx

Have you checked the water parameters? Is the tank cycled? There is the possibility that ammonia or nitrite levels are stressing her out if the tank is not yet cycled. Also, even though you don't see any bickering, it is quite possible that she is being bullied by the other 2. I believe you should have at least 5 females in a group... even if she isn't being bullied she might be stressed simply by the presence of other females. Not all females are cut out for sorority life.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #3 
txbettaowner

She has had no problems with these females before. She has been just fine with them. How long does it take for the water to cycle? I changed the water and the whole tank a week ago. I add API stress coat to every water change.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #4 
Jexx

It generally takes up to 2 months for a tank to cycle. You need to read the thread on the nitrogen cycle its very helpful :) Is the tank filtered?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 
Jexx

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #6 
txbettaowner

Yes the tank is filtered and has a heater as does my 1.5g and my 2g.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #7 
Jexx

well check out the link.. it tells you everything you need to know on cycling. the tank will cycle on its own eventually. you just need to make appropriate water changes and keep your fish comfortable. maybe invest in a testing drop kit and measure your parameters. sometimes the cycling process can be stressful for some fish.