Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 
janenome

Betta newbie needs help!

HEllo everyone, my name's Jane. This is the first time i get a betta, my father gave it to me as a present for women's day.
I'm a little confused about how often should i change the water and how...I've reading around and some people say different things...some say 100% water change once a week other's say 50% twice a week...I'm so confused!!!
I really like my betta (bruno)---> sorry for the bad picture...he's a little shy and doesn't like cameras so this is the best pic i got, while he was there taking a bit of sun

and i don't want him to die...so if you could help me...i'll be thankful...

I think my tank is 0,5 gallon...not very sure, it used to be my sister and the box was thrown away and i can't find the volume anywhere...i've put elodea and a floating plant in it...like in the picture (check link if you can't see)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PjiWSmJKXz...9+11.51.10.jpg

I think he seems happy: swims around a lot, eats well and he even made a bubble nest today...I just want to know when to change it. I don't have anmonia tester but i do use water conditioner for nitrites....
please help!

Last edited by janenome; 03-11-2013 at 08:13 PM.
janenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #2 
Tabbie82

Hi Jane! Your new betta looks beautiful. He looks a lot like my Maui. Your water changes will depend on a lot of things. Tank size, if it has been cycled, etc. There is a sticky on here that might be helpful for you, though. I tracked down the link for you:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

I hope this helps! Welcome to the forum. I am sure Bruno will be very happy with you.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #3 
janenome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
Hi Jane! Your new betta looks beautiful. He looks a lot like my Maui. Your water changes will depend on a lot of things. Tank size, if it has been cycled, etc. There is a sticky on here that might be helpful for you, though. I tracked down the link for you:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

I hope this helps! Welcome to the forum. I am sure Bruno will be very happy with you.
Thank you very much! The thread sure is useful....but still I don't have amonia test to see the levels and i can't find them anywhere. I've asked in many pet shops and no one has them! I can't get online.... BEside the the tanks listed are bigger than mine so they probably need less changes right?...:( I really wished i could get him a new tank but in my country (COSTA RICA) bigger tanks are actually pretty expensive... I have a ten gallon tank which is cycle with a filter for goldfish...but i don't want to put it in there since i'm afraid the other fish will annoy him.
My tank isn't cycle, i actually put a small filter bag with stone and activated carbon (something like a bacteria farm) it was a self thought idea...so that when i cleaned the tank not all the bacteria would be gone and there would remain some in the little farm. IT doesn't have a bomb either only the plants...the man who sold me the fish told me the plants would help ith the amonia percentage...but i'm not sure wether that's true...D:
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #4 
Lisa Ann

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by janenome View Post
HEllo everyone, my name's Jane. This is the first time i get a betta, my father gave it to me as a present for women's day.
I'm a little confused about how often should i change the water and how...I've reading around and some people say different things...some say 100% water change once a week other's say 50% twice a week...I'm so confused!!!
I really like my betta (bruno)---> sorry for the bad picture...he's a little shy and doesn't like cameras so this is the best pic i got, while he was there taking a bit of sun

and i don't want him to die...so if you could help me...i'll be thankful...

I think my tank is 0,5 gallon...not very sure, it used to be my sister and the box was thrown away and i can't find the volume anywhere...i've put elodea and a floating plant in it...like in the picture (check link if you can't see)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PjiWSmJKXz...9+11.51.10.jpg

I think he seems happy: swims around a lot, eats well and he even made a bubble nest today...I just want to know when to change it. I don't have anmonia tester but i do use water conditioner for nitrites....
please help!
Random not fish related question but what and when exactly is women's day? Just curious :) :)
Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 
janenome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ann View Post
Random not fish related question but what and when exactly is women's day? Just curious :) :)
MArch eight! I actually got him a day after, since it fell on friday. I bought him a a market....it's just a day we get to celebrate females
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #6 
JBonez423

He actually might be ok with the goldfish. I'm not 100% sure, though!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #7 
janenome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonez423 View Post
He actually might be ok with the goldfish. I'm not 100% sure, though!
I don't know.... I'm still concerned. He actually seems happy in his ittle tank. He swims a lot around and he has good apetite; what i'm concerned about is the water change...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 
JBonez423

I'd probably do a 50% every day, since he's so small. Get a turkey baster, try and stir up the crud off the bottom, suck it out, remove half and replace. It is very small, even for a betta. I would try and get him in at least a gallon tank.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Keep in mind that the link won't tell you about changing water for your size tank because most of us here believe anything smaller than 2.5 gallons is too small for a Betta. So I would say for your tank size, you will need to do a 100% water change every other day to keep your fish healthy. Also, you need a heater, Betta fish are tropical and need water at a constant temperature somewhere between 76 and 82 (not fluctuating between those 2 ranges, pick a temperature, and keep it there always.)
Also, you can't keep him with the goldfish because goldfish are cold water fish and Bettas are warm water fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #10 
janenome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Keep in mind that the link won't tell you about changing water for your size tank because most of us here believe anything smaller than 2.5 gallons is too small for a Betta. So I would say for your tank size, you will need to do a 100% water change every other day to keep your fish healthy. Also, you need a heater, Betta fish are tropical and need water at a constant temperature somewhere between 76 and 82 (not fluctuating between those 2 ranges, pick a temperature, and keep it there always.)
Also, you can't keep him with the goldfish because goldfish are cold water fish and Bettas are warm water fish.
Thanks...I keep temperature checked; but i live in a pretty hot country (costa rica is tropical) so the water temperature in the tank is pretty stable...since it's a small tank the shop recommended me not to use a hearter cuz it might over heat the water...with water changes i try to make the temperature as similar as possible.... I do intend to get a new tank in the future...but, i'm keeping this fish on my own. I'm still a student and i have not much money so i can't get it now...:(

Tags
betta, care, water change