Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #1 
johnnymillenium

new filter cartridge or overfeeding?

I have a 2.5 gal and just started off with new water and got the filter running about 2 weeks ago. I was told I would only need to change water every month. I recently tested the water parameters and they were higher than I'd like to see. I also started feeding my betta live blood worms at the same time but feeding him two pellets in the morning and a few blood worms in the evening. I am wondering though why the parameters have gotten so high in a short period of time. Am I overfeeding him on this diet? Do I maybe just need a new filer cartridge? I would really appreciate the feedback.
johnnymillenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #2 
waterdog

Must be a pet store employee that told you that.

In a 2.5 filtered cycled tank you need to do a 50% water change once a week, not once a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #3 
johnnymillenium

yea I've kinda figured that.. It was actually a well reviewed fish guy who owns his own aquarium store that told me that. maybe he meant to say once a week but said once a month.. oh well.

Also it isn't cycled, I was under the impression that you could not keep a cycled tank with a 2.5 gal. Does this mean I should do water changes more often than once a week? maybe twice a week?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #4 
waterdog

Yes you can cycle a 2.5. I know cause I have one! I would do a 50% water change now, then test the water once every day and change it whenever the ammonia creeps up. Depending on various factors, you should be cycled within the next 2 weeks.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #5 
johnnymillenium

Okay. Thank you.
Does the type of filtration affect whether or not it cycles? Because I have a filter that uses carbon and read that if I replace it too often it would cause mini-cycles. If so, how often should I change the filter cartridge?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm quite the newb as you can probably tell
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #6 
waterdog

Asking questions is why we are all here!

Carbon does not affect the cycle. What can affect it is when you change the filter cartridge you remove the benifical bacteria (BB) in it. Once your tank is fully cycled this is not as much of a problem. You can clean it out by swishing it in used tank water during water changes. I replace mine when they stay heavy even after cleaning, usually once every couple of months.

You may want to consider changing to a sponge filter so you don't have flow problems (water current too strong) in a 2.5. Look in my albums at my tanks and you will see my 2.5 with one. You can click on the link in my signature to learn more about them.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #7 
Kithy

Don't worry, we all started somewhere! It is always better to ask questions and feel foolish than not ask and lose your pet.

I think with 2.5g you have to do two 50% changes in a week.

With the filter cartridges... you don't really want to replace them. You can take the carbon out if you want to but you're not supposed to really take the whole thing out. When cycling, the filter is the absolute best place for your bacteria to grow and a lot of them love hanging out on your cartridge. So taking that out and adding in a new one will throw your tank into a mini cycle at best. The petstores and even the companies will say do change the cartridge monthly or whatever but you shouldn't. I still have the same cartridges in my tanks as I did a year ago :3

The thing to remember is more often the not everything cares more about your money than what is best for the fish. Companies have to make money so they'll tell you to do this so you buy more of their stuff.

What brand pellets are you using? It's easier to over feed than underfeed so if you think he's getting too much food you can cut back. It's pretty hard to starve a betta ^^ I'm not sure about live bloodworms (where did you get them?!). I know with freezedried they aren't good for everyday but live might be different.

Welcome to the forum :3 Never feel silly about asking anything you aren't sure of. There are plenty of nice people around who are more than willing to help you out!
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #8 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
I think with 2.5g you have to do two 50% changes in a week.
Like I said I have a 2.5 and once it is cycled you only have to do one 50% water change a week.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #9 
Freyja
Banned

I have a cycled, planted 2.5 so I only do 50% weekly as well.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #10 
johnnymillenium

hmm okay, this has been very helpful. Thanks!
I've had quite a busy week so i apologize for this late reply.

I got the live worms at a local aquarium store. the man who owns the place seems reputable, I read a lot of great reviews on yelp. He said I could feed him with the worms everyday. Although he was vague when i asked about how often, how many and whether I should feed just worms or do a combination of foods. I realize the worms are more of a treat but I'm really looking forward to being rid of them :p

I am planning on getting more plants for the tank. I got one last time i was at the aquarium store, I'm not quite sure what it is tho. maybe a crypt? I was going to wait until after going camping in a couple of weeks to order some though. Don't worry I got my johnny boom boom a babysitter whilst away so he's not unattended to.

Oh and as far as the current goes, he seems fine with it. I was quite hesitant to even set the filter up because of some rather nasty reviews on amazon for the aquarium kit that I have now. Many of the reviews warned of a strong current, some even attributing the deaths of their bettas to the strong current. but he manages to make bubble nests in one of the corners and I watched him sort of play in the current before, purposely getting swept to one side then swimming down and back up into the current to get swept back and continuing until he got bored and swam to a diff part of the tank. he is quite fun to watch

oh and one more thing. I've been changing his water 50% everyday the past four days to get the ammonia down because like i posted before the parameters got kinda high for my liking. But I'm having a hard time getting them to lower much, hence why I'm still changing the water. the problem is my tap is pretty high in ammonia and I know the water treatment doesn't do much for that, I bought seachem recently because i was told it works really well but haven't been using it because I don't know how much to add for just one gal... instructions are for 50gal
do you guys know how many drops of the seachem to use for 1gal?