Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #1 
athenr3134

Grinchie

I have been treating him for three months for velvet and ick and now he has a white spot. I just did my weekly water conditioner treatment and he was fine all day till i got home a little bit ago. my husband showed me his white spot on his fin. any ideas as to what that could be?
Attached Images

athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #2 
athenr3134

p.s. he has been acting normal and he gave me some bubbles earlier. he normally doesn't do bubbles like Heidi does but when he does it gets a lot of praises.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

More info is needed. Fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

If you have been treating for three months you are not treating it properly.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
athenr3134

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none but does have plants and a lounge chair to sit in :D heheh im serious.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon pellets and microfloating betta pellets with krill and stabilized vitamin c
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3x a week 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a month since hes been sink before that every week to two weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, stress coat/zyme and algae control

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
pH:6.5
Hardness:0
Alkalinity: 0

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white spot on one of his fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none he seems happier today than most days.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this afternoon
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no but he is currently on medicine for ick and velvet called coopersafe by mardel
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7 months
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenr3134 View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75
Should be at least 76 normally, but since you are treating for ich it should be 86 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none but does have plants and a lounge chair to sit in :D heheh im serious.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon pellets and microfloating betta pellets with krill and stabilized vitamin c
Not great food. Try NLS or omega one betta buffet.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3x a week 2x a day
This is a bad schedule. You should feed everyday with a one day weekly fast.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a month since hes been sink before that every week to two weeks.
This is where it gets really bad. Why are you cutting back on water changes? Even a week is too long. Do two 50% water changes and one 100% water changes while he is sick.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, stress coat/zyme and algae control

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
pH:6.5
Hardness:0
Alkalinity: 0

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white spot on one of his fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none he seems happier today than most days.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this afternoon
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no but he is currently on medicine for ick and velvet called coopersafe by mardel
Velvet:Keep tank in pitch blackness with no exception for five days.
Ich:Dose predissolved aquarium salt at 1 tsp/g and raise tank temperature to 86 degrees. No need for harsh meds.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7 months

So yea... Bunch of things for you to fix.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #6 
athenr3134

sp should i feed him 6 days a week then once a day? hes not that big of a eater and never has been. so now this whole time i have been doing this wrong. ok so i need to go to the store tomorrow could go now but hes already been fed and taken care of today. hes a normal betta who is very lazy. he does come up to me and say hi and run back and forth. i have a female betta in a tank next to him who i am babysitting who is very active but is an entirely different betta. anyway i will make sure i do with the changes. should i feed him those five days that he is in pitch black?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #7 
callistra

Ich is an opportunistic infection from fish stress, so eliminating the source of the stress is important.. whether it be water quality or whatever. Velvet is the same.

You've been treating for 3 months?! What have you been using coppersafe this whole time? It's too long on this harsh med.. Velvet would have been gone by now, but this med is no good for ich.. A complete change will be needed to remove the meds because your filter won't remove them, and 3 months is way too long to use this so it needs to be removed now.

Can you share more A white spot is not velvet. Ich looks like a sprinkling of salt.. I don't see anything wrong in the photo you posted.

I agree, in the future the best treatment for ich is raising temps slowly at 1 degree per hour into the 86-88F range. Leave it there at least 2 weeks and one week past the last sign of ich. You can also use aquarium salt at 1 tsp per gallon for up to 10 days. It will need to be predissolved outside the tank in some of his tank/treated water before adding. You only need to add more salt along with a water change, and then only add as much as water you change.

On a regular basis he is a little chilly. I would adjust your heater into more around 78-79 range.

The problem with relying on your filter in such a small tank like this is that it is very hard to maintain the biofilter, if not impossible.

Most people will tell you that you can't ever fully cycle a tank this small, despite your filter, and you will alwys need these changes.. you can try, but careful daily monitoring and reliable test kits should be used. You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon or new fresh turkey baster that has never seen chems is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever. I actually suggest a turkey baster or very small siphon because your tank is so small an average siphon will remove water too quickly.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by twice weekly 50% change with baster/siphon. However, cycling will take up to two months to complete and many if not most people will tell you that you can't cycle a tank of this size and you will always need twice weekly 50% and 100% water changes or you will always see ammonia continuing to build and the cycle will never finish..

Also any time you replace all the media at once in your filter it restarts your cycle, so if your filter only has one type of media (like a single bio bag) this is a serious fault of your filter.

IT's true he should be fed 6 days a week (two meals a day) and one fast day. You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. How many you feed depends upon your betta and the pellet size.

Last edited by callistra; 03-12-2013 at 06:46 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #8 
athenr3134

thank you all for your help as soon as i get home tomorrow from work and petsmart i will take care of this! :) i am a happy camper now!