Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #1 
farmgirl598

What would you do?

I have 11 fish tanks......5 that are 3 to 5 gallon betta tanks, and 4 that contain guppies, and 1 Endler tank. 1 tank is empty except for snails, since my sweet betta Phineas passed away last week. I am thinking of getting another betta, and I've found two online that I really like. One is a blue/white monkey face halfmoon male, and one is a white/silver plakat male. I am tempted to get both, but really don't know where I'd put tank #12! I also feel guilty about getting bettas online....seeing all those poor bettas in WalMart and similar stores that really need good homes. Am I being silly? I just don't know what the best decision is, so decided to come here for some suggestions.
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
ZubinBetta

Getting bettas online means that you don't have to (yet again) see them in those awful little cups at WalMart, etc. It is true that they need homes, but the ethics of rescuing--debated often in this forum--are conflicted, at best. Also, purchasing a fish online permits you to "get what you really want"; we all know that the fishes at WalMart make great pets, if they survive their early mistreatment there, but many betta lovers have a particular look in mind. I don't think this sort of preference is anything to feel guilty about. Buying a fish online is not condemning a fish at the factory to death; the equivalency doesn't work out that way. Sorry for Phineas's passing. As for tank #12: If you want the fish, you will find a way!
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #3 
farmgirl598

Zubinbetta: You're just ENABLING ME! LOL. I'll give it some more thought. Maybe you're right. I just feel like I want to find a betta that REALLY needs a good home. Most of my pets....dogs, cats, fish, and even some of my horses....are rescues.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #4 
registereduser

how big is the empty tank? Can you divide?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 
Agility4fun

farmgirl...so sorry to hear about losing Phineas.

Re: where to buy...consider that every time we buy one from PC/PS or WM we are reinforcing them to keep stocking fish and subsequently mistreating them. I say, buy online and reinforce those that breed carefully and treat them well.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

If you are considering two, why not get one online, therefore supporting an ethical breeder, and one rescue, thereby making a tiny contribution to an unethical industry but making all the difference to the life of one fish?

My personal opinion on rescuing from a large shop is this: if it is only you that is boycotting, it's not going to make a difference. You need to spread the word and get everybody you know to get everybody *they* know to boycott, and inform the shop that you are doing so. Nothing scares them so much as the loss of multiple customers.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #7 
farmgirl598

My empty tank is a 5-6 gallon Kritter Keeper. Not big enough to divide, unfortunately. I MIGHT be able to find somewhere in the house to put another 3-5 gallon tank...but I am running short on electrical outlets! LOL.... Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I just always feel badly when I go to a department store and see all those bettas witht he pleading eyes.....Kinda like puppies at the pound!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #8 
Jexx

Buying fish online there is nothing wrong with that. Its a great way to find a very nice looking fish that you will probably never find in a store. As for the fish in the Pet stores, remember, whether or not you give one of those poor fish a home, the stores are going to stock them and mistreat them out of ignorance. If you want to make a difference in a fish's life who otherwise might die on a shelf in a store do it. you will make a positive difference to that fish. the only way to make a difference is through action not INACTION. however on the same right, if you feel the right thing to do is to buy a fish online, do it. that fish might end up going to a neglectful home if you don't. you never know who else could have bought it. no matter what you do you will be giving a fish a better life. enjoy! :)
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #9 
farmgirl598

Thanks for all the great input! I am beginning to doubt that the kritter keeper is the best tank, either. It has the slotted lid that does NOT hold heat or humidity. My tanks are all heated, even the kritter keeper, so I guess I should get a piece of plexiglass to put on the top of it? Or can I buy a hood specifically made for it? I want the very best for my babies. Phineas's death hit me hard!!! I don't even know exactly why he got sick.....I change water every Saturday, give them plenty of live plants and spacious heated tanks, and good food, yet he still got an inflamed gill and got sicker and sicker.....I miss him alot
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #10 
ZubinBetta

Hi farmgirl, bettas can get sick even in the best of circumstances. Threads abound concerning healthy fish that get sick and expire around the 2-year mark; some speculate that there are weak genes behind a propensity to get sick and die before we've had them three years. It's hard to lose a beloved pet after so short a time, especially as we've all heard anecdotal evidence of bettas living 7-10 yrs. and imagine we have the ability to bring such a result about for our bettas. And, yes I'm an enabler when it comes to bettas--because I'm convinced that the sting of losing a loved pet is less acute when one can welcome a new face into the house. But of course not everyone agrees, and you must follow your own heart.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote