Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #11 
louisvillelady

I know how hard it is to see the bettass at wally world. I always go by that isle just to open the bottled "betta water" and give them all fresh water. I've yet to get in trouble for it, i figure PETA would come bail me out of jail once they got wind of the story. Also, and this osund terrible, but if people would stop buying bettas from walmart, they would stop carrying them. Yes, that means the ones on the shelves would not make it, but in the long run that is a lot fewer lives thatn will be lost over the many years of them selling them but not caring for them. Get you those beautiful bettas from someone who takes good care of them. You all deserve it!
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

Louisvillelady, do be very careful, as legally, that is theft. If you get caught, you won't have a leg to stand on.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #13 
louisvillelady

Its not theft. I'm not consuming anything nor taking anything from the store. If you read the wording of the law, what I do is not considered theft. Just like if you saw a spill and opened a package of paper towels to clean it up. It's the stores expense. Especially considering its a live animal and they wouldn't want that publicity of locking someone up for giving a dying fish clean water. That is where they get the water from to clean their containers WHEN/IF they do. Besides, let em say something!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #14 
kyle89

It is hard to go into the lps and see the bettas. And worse when you see a dead one :( After losing one PETCO betta we went to a lfs. Down the road i would like to save another little guy!! Just follow your heart!!
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #15 
farmgirl598

I went ahead and ordered the Plakat today. He'll be here on Friday. I still want the halfmoon, but i don't have any place to put tank #12.....really! I live in a 150 year old house, and there are very few electrical outlets. I honestly cannot figure out where he'd go. So I am considering only getting the Plakat. BTW: Great work, Louisvillelady!!! Kudos to you for helping the poor betta fish!
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #16 
louisvillelady

Thank you farmgirl598, we all do our own little part. One of these days maybe we can finally prevent the situation from the start.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #17 
farmgirl598

Quote:
we all do our own little part. One of these days maybe we can finally prevent the situation from the start.
amen!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

Theft doesn't have to include taking something from the store. Theft is appropriating the owner's property without the owner's consent, with the intention of permanently depriving them of it. That is the definition here, in any case, and I doubt it differs enormously there.

You are taking the betta water (the shop's property) without their consent, and depriving them of it permanently - they can no longer make a profit from it if you have used it in their tanks.

Sorry for going on about this, but I'm a law student and whilst I sympathise more than you know with your predicament and the poor bettas, breaking the law won't help if you get caught.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #19 
farmgirl598

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2vbVCmTw82Q

Here's a video of my new boy.....due to arrive on Friday!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #20 
NHBettaGirl

He's cute! I'm glad you bought him from a breeder. I agree with what others have said, buying one of those chain store bettas is like buying a puppy from a puppy mill, you saved the puppy but you funded the breeding of 100 more just like it. They only stop breeding them and selling them like that when people stop buying them like that.
NHBettaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote