Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #21 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Im having a hard time decide between the natural gravel I have now, or sand :/ anyone have any opinions on the substrate they use?
I use play sand and organic dirt. I love the sand and it is so amusing to watch the shrimp dig around in it. You just have to be extra careful when adding water so you don't get kickups.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #22 
VJM

I really like sand. To me, the finer substarte loos so much more put together than gravel. i think you can't go wrong with either, it's just a personal choice. Look at a bunch of pictures of gravel based and sand based tanks. I bet you like one lots more.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #23 
Bettafish

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I good soil? or just stick with miracle organic?
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #24 
lilyth88

Quote:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I good soil? or just stick with miracle organic?
Miracle Organic works fine. Just make sure you sift it. You want to get all the big chunks out so all you are left with is the rich, soft dirt.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #25 
Bettafish

Okay cool :)

im also trying to come up with a hardscape item. Im surrounded by desert in Arizona, currently at my cabin so im surrounded by pine tree forest right now.

I would really like a branch or something in there. just to add some definition to the tank.

I heard a cholla branch would work to but i don't know how that would go with the theme im going for, which i actually have no idea what the theme is. i guess its my theme :p idk haha.

Any ideas on things from a desert/forest that could look good in a tank. im cool with rocks too, i just don't know what kind.

Ideas for themes would be cool to. maybe a unique desert theme :D i just don't know how to execute it, because mostly theres no underwater cacti :p. any ideas welcome. or maybe expanding on the desert theme, im really liking the idea of the desert theme

Last edited by Bettafish; 03-16-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #26 
Stone

By bunch they mean 5-8 steams, water sprite is by plant and its on sale extremely good plant, baby tears will do a carpeting effect just wont look like grass we just got some and they give you a really generous amount of that, peachi and I have been very happy with the stuff from there, the bacopa is our least favorite along with the vals
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #27 
Stone

Quote:
Okay cool :)

im also trying to come up with a hardscape item. Im surrounded by desert in Arizona, currently at my cabin so im surrounded by pine tree forest right now.

I would really like a branch or something in there. just to add some definition to the tank.

I heard a cholla branch would work to but i don't know how that would go with the theme im going for, which i actually have no idea what the theme is. i guess its my theme :p idk haha.

Any ideas on things from a desert/forest that could look good in a tank. im cool with rocks too, i just don't know what kind.

Ideas for themes would be cool to. maybe a unique desert theme :D i just don't know how to execute it, because mostly theres no underwater cacti :p. any ideas welcome. or maybe expanding on the desert theme, im really liking the idea of the desert theme
here is our big tank Atlantis is the theme the big ornament of the colums costs a bit but if you look around walmart you can find thing people use for home decore cheap the little red vases were 97 cents the little terracottta pots 24 cents and so on try going to goodwill never know what you will find, here is a pic of the big tank
Attached Images

Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #28 
Bettafish

Coming up with a good theme is hard. Anyone have ideas?

I was thinking of like a desert theme but I don't know how to pull it off.