Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #1 
bniebetta

Used Tank?

It really gives me anxiety that both my bettas are in such small habitats. Right now, my fully grown boy is in a 1.7, and my 1 inch rescue in a gallon. Right now it is all I have been able to afford but I couldn't just leave the rescue where he was.

Today I found a 5 gallon tank at a local thrift store and it was beyond disgusting and still had all the decorations and substrate in it (seriously??!). I bought it anyway because I thought it might be worth being able to clean and house my fully grown and allow me to upgrade the rescue to the 1.7 for now.

I currently have it soaking with hot water and bleach, but I am becoming increasingly apprehensive about it hurting my fish. There is also a clear glue seal on the junctions of the glass; is this normal and safe, and would it be able to store harmful bacteria that would hurt my baby (this seems like a stupid question, but I haven't examined a lot of tanks that closely and just want to make sure)?

What do you think? Is even worth cleaning? What can I do to make sure my fish is safe?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

used tanks (especially those that have been stored for a long time) are generally safe for fish. just scrub the glass clean and ur good to go. if by glue you mean the silicone holding the edges together... yes that is normal :)
you cam bleach the tank if you are unsure with a 10% bleach solution. then washing it out really well and let a tank ful of water sit overnight with 4-5x regulat dose of water conditioner to get rid of the bleach
you should always do a leak test however.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #3 
ashleigheperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
used tanks (especially those that have been stored for a long time) are generally safe for fish. just scrub the glass clean and ur good to go. if by glue you mean the silicone holding the edges together... yes that is normal :)
you cam bleach the tank if you are unsure with a 10% bleach solution. then washing it out really well and let a tank ful of water sit overnight with 4-5x regulat dose of water conditioner to get rid of the bleach
you should always do a leak test however.
+1

I've purchased used tanks ever since I got into the hobby and I've never had issues. Just make sure you rinse a hundred times to get rid of the bleach solution and it should be perfectly safe! Make sure you're cleaning everything you'd like to keep very carefully (even the hood, etc.).

Used tanks are a great, inexpensive alternative for hobbyists of any level. I love tank hunting!
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #4 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleigheperry View Post
Used tanks are a great, inexpensive alternative for hobbyists of any level. I love tank hunting!
I'm right with you on that one. I wouldn't be able to afford so many tanks at full retail. Over half my tanks are thrift store finds. My prize is my marineland hex 5 that was in perfect working condition (just had to replace the missing bio wheel and buy a filter) that I got at goodwill for $8.

Like they said, just rinse till you think you've done it enough, then rinse again.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #5 
bniebetta

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better about it and my baby is gonna love it!!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #6 
motherpeters

What a great idea! I never even thought of looking at my local Goodwills for a used tank. I've just been eyeing the more expensive ones at Petco with longing!
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #7 
jadaBlu

I'm watching craiglist for a 20 long right plus there is freecycle to try too.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #8 
motherpeters

I was given a 10 gallon by a coworker (also had all the old decorations and substrate) that hadn't been used in years. It's covered with stickers on one glass panel. Do you think something like Goof Off would be safe to use on the outside of the tank, or would it be not worth the possibility of it getting near the inside?
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote