Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
Sonnenlitcht

Will he get much bigger?

I got this cambodian VT on Friday, and he seems to be thriving ( got him from bad conditions). But he seems rather small. I have seen him flair a time or two, but he still doesn't seem large. I have him in a 1 gal tank for now, and it seems big compared to him. Im not sure how to post photos, when i did they didnt show up. He is about as long as my pinky, not including his tail. and his dorsal, anal, and tail fins are longer but very skinny, even when flared. He gets to a max of maybe 3x3 inches when he is flared.
Sonnenlitcht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #2 
Blue Fish

I'm not an expert on this by any means, and hopefully someone with more experience raising young stock will comment here as well, but my experience is that they seem to be individualized when it comes to size.

Two of mine are HUGE. Enormously huge. Their bodies are thick, they're long, they're just BIG fish. One is a crowntail and the other is a Delta tail. The CT was very small when purchased, but within a few months had tripled in size.
The others are pretty average sized, I'd say about their bodies are about 2.5 to 3 inches long, with fins varying depending on type.
Mine seem to grow for a few weeks, maybe 2-3 months, when I first get them home, but then they settle down and start to even out.

I hope that helps! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #3 
louisvillelady

Do you know how old he is? Since he came from bad conditions, I would think that given time he will grow to a normal size. Do lots of water changes, everyday if possible and feed a couple times a day with a variety of foods. Bettas give off a hormone, and when that hormone reaches a certain level, they stop growing. So you may want to rethink your 1 gallon tank even though he is small. It sounds like he may be young, and/or had his growth stunted do to poor conditions/care.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote