Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #1 
NHBettaGirl

Question Shipped in Betta care

Hello, my bettas are arriving next week from Thailand. This is my first time shipping in bettas is there anything special I should do for them after arrival? I'm aware about acclimating and all but is there anything they should be treated with to help with the stress? My water already has AmQuel and NovAqua in it and the tanks have been cycled with quick start and some plants and snails. Please let me know what else I need so I can get it or order it before they arrive. Thanks!
NHBettaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Acclimating for imported fish will be dramatically different than normal acclimation. You will need to do a drip acclimation. Is this the acclimation that you're referring to? Also, IAL helps to have on hand, as most Thai imported fish have heavy tannins from IAL.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #3 
NHBettaGirl

Nope I'm not sure what a drip acclimation is or IAL for that matter *blush*, these are my first Bettas from Thailand and I am pretty new to the whole thing, this will be my first time breeding bettas, just kept as pets in the past.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 
NHBettaGirl

Okay, looked up IAL and found the Indian Almond Leaves, also found this product http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutritio...+Almond+Leaves Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #5 
ZubinBetta

I put a dose of Atison's BettaSPA along with an IAL in my 5.5G tank with each water change; the IAL lasts several weeks before needing to be replaced. (I rinse it off with each water change and return the leaf to the tank with fresh water.) I noticed more regular production of bubblenests in my current betta and the one I had before. I noticed that the label for BettaSPA includes an admonition not to concurrently use aquarium salt. In the past, I would use aquarium salt, but since switching to BettaSPA I do not anymore.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

IAL stands for Indian Almond Leaf. They are exactly as the name states, almond leaves from India (lol). These will create tannins which are....hmmm...an easy explanation is that tannins are what makes darker pigmentation in things. IAL are found as a primary source or tannins in bettas' natural "black water environment." They have a lot of healing properties as well, and will keep the fish over all happy and healthy. They can be used for help in breeding when the amount is increased as well. If you cannot get a hold of IAL (which can usually only be shipped since finding them in the U.S. is difficult), then you can always try blackwater extract. Though you want to pay attention to the ingredients and try to find some that does not have more additives than necessary (i.e. preservatives, etc).

I bought my IAL off of Ebay, but I know people who sell them on here under the classified section of this forum. (:

For drip acclimation, you can use a normal airline hose from another tank with a gang valve, or there is another way. I used this drip system that is found in the reptile section called "The Little Dripper." They have this in a bigger size as well, called "The Big Dripper." Basically, all it is, is a plastic container that has a hole for a small airline tube, and a mini gang valve that is on the outside of the container. The valve can be adjusted to outflow a lot of water, or only a few drops at a time.

When you get your fish, unwrap slowly. If you can, untie the bag instead of uncutting it. The reason is due to chemical changes in the water once air hits it, but it really isn't a huge deal so if you have to cut the bag open that's fine too. Put him or her in a bowl with the water that they came in. Then put some of your tank's water in the dripper/hook up the airline tubing and adjust to do a drop a minute. I believe that I drip acclimated for an hour last time I did it.

If you have any questions regarding breeding, the breeding section has two stickies that I highly suggest making sure you know like the back of your hand. I'm trying my hand at breeding as well, but it's much harder than it sounds (my girl just beat the tar out of my male after cuddling with him for six hours with vertical bars).
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #7 
NHBettaGirl

I've been reading a lot about breeding and I have a friend who used to breed bettas so I am reasonably familiar with that part, it's the shipping in from Asia that I'm a bit fuzzy on. Thank you so much for explaining things so clearly. I will see about getting those things right away so they are here for the arrival of the fish.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #8 
NHBettaGirl

Oh dear, I ordered some IAL but estimated arrival date is Apr 4 to Apr 18. I tried to make a WTB post in the classified section but I don't have nearly enough posts to do so. I need it by Saturday since the bettas should arrive early next week. A friend said something about using a bunch of oak leaves to make tannin water, does that work?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

You can, but it doesn't have quite the same effect. Sure they create tannins, but they don't have the same healing and calming factors that IAL has. When bunched, you can use it, though. You have to be 100% sure that the oak leaves are from trees that are not affected by pesticides. They also need to be free fallen and not plucked from the tree.

How many fish are you ordering/how many gallons of water will you be using?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #10 
NHBettaGirl

I have 4 coming in, the breeders will be in 1 gallon covered, heated, lighted bowls with regular water changes and I have a 10 gal spawning tank and a 29 gal big tank for now. The gallon bowls each have a windelov fern in them and the big tank has camboba, mayaca, Brazilian ivy, and will have windelov and thin leaf java ferns on drift wood. It's not the best set up ever but the breeders I have talked to say it is sufficient for starting out. I have cycled the big tank and added API quick start to the gallon bowls. The tap water was also treated with AmQuel and NovAqua and is sitting at a 7.2 pH and 80* Last I checked I had 0 Nitrates, 15ppm Nitrites. I also have snails in my tanks, pond snails, a zebra nerite and I have some mystery snails coming for the big tank. I have been assured the snails are fry safe (though the fry may snack on snails if the snails are small as the fry get bigger).