Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #11 
Hadoken Kitty

I was just wondering, because if you want to pay for the envelope and the shipping+ handling, I can ship a few of my leaves to you. Up to you. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #12 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBettaGirl View Post
I have 4 coming in, the breeders will be in 1 gallon covered, heated, lighted bowls with regular water changes and I have a 10 gal spawning tank and a 29 gal big tank for now. The gallon bowls each have a windelov fern in them and the big tank has camboba, mayaca, Brazilian ivy, and will have windelov and thin leaf java ferns on drift wood. It's not the best set up ever but the breeders I have talked to say it is sufficient for starting out. I have cycled the big tank and added API quick start to the gallon bowls. The tap water was also treated with AmQuel and NovAqua and is sitting at a 7.2 pH and 80* Last I checked I had 0 Nitrates, 15ppm Nitrites. I also have snails in my tanks, pond snails, a zebra nerite and I have some mystery snails coming for the big tank. I have been assured the snails are fry safe (though the fry may snack on snails if the snails are small as the fry get bigger).
Congrats on your new fish coming in! It's exciting, I know.....my first batch from Thailand was 5 fish (1 was DOA, unfortunately) .....my second batch was 36 (but 3 were DOA)....now THAT was an experience getting all those fish acclimatized! No time to drip acclimatize them in that case, but they are all still healthy and happy fishies 3 weeks later!

Do you have pics of the ones you bought? Or did I miss that in another thread perhaps?
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #13 
NHBettaGirl

Thanks :) I do have some IAL coming from NY now which should be here in plenty of time. I do very much appreciate the offer though!

I'm very excited about these guys, I think I will cry if any come in DOA since I've waited a while for my "perfect fish" to come up for sale, but I do know it happens. I'm getting 4 metallic blue butterfly HM bettas that have black on their fins as well, the females also seem to have some marbling. I can't wait to see them in person and take my own pics of them. When I have some pics I will post them.

I also have 12 mystery snails coming to help with my big tank since it's not always going to have fry in it. DH was complaining that we have to run the big tank and it will be sitting doing nothing so I told him, OK I'll breed mystery snails in it, lol.

I have a lot to learn and a few good mentors, but I'm glad for the forum to be able to ask that which I cannot learn elsewhere!
NHBettaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #14 
Hadoken Kitty

Lol, be sure to clean the tank out between uses, because snails can have rather large bioloads. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #15 
NHBettaGirl

I was told by the breeder of the snails that mystery snails actually do not add to the bio load of the tank, but actually help reduce it. The pond and nerite on the other hand are another story, but they will be in my tanks that get changed often.

From his e-mail "The single BEST thing about Mystery Snail's is that they are almost like a filter...they filter the water, waste, and clean up crude BUT their excretions remain "inert" in the tank, so whatever they put back out, does not add to the bio-load of the tank like fish waste...even if you see the dropping's, they are harmless to other's and the tank load...most folks have no idea."

ETA: I will be cleaning up the poop of course, but it shoudn't be a big issue in the tank environment.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #16 
majesticstorm

Here's a really good site that talks about acclimating. I actually bought a betta from her and followed her instructions and now my boy is happily swimming around :)
http://bellsouthpwp.net/J/e/JennViv/LMBAcclimation.htm
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #17 
NHBettaGirl

Thanks I read it, it's a nice clear set of directions. Maybe I will skip the drip system and do it that way, I need to save money where I can since DH is already complaining about all the costs.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #18 
majesticstorm

Yea, but I found that the bag the betta came in wasn't large enough to pour half a cup of cup of tank water into so I just used my turkey baster and squirted a nice squirt into the bag instead. Good luck with your bettas! May they have a nice trip!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #19 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBettaGirl View Post
Thanks I read it, it's a nice clear set of directions. Maybe I will skip the drip system and do it that way, I need to save money where I can since DH is already complaining about all the costs.
Just watch out for Step 8 of the acclimation process.....pouring out part of the water in the shipping bag while the fish is still IN the bag....quite often the fish will decide to flop about and could possibly end up leaping into the bucket/container/sink where you are pouring the water or even onto the floor. And, sadly, I'm speaking from experience! Fortunately in my case, the fish in question was fine afterwards.
Attached Images

Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #20 
majesticstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catw0man View Post
Just watch out for Step 8 of the acclimation process.....pouring out part of the water in the shipping bag while the fish is still IN the bag....quite often the fish will decide to flop about and could possibly end up leaping into the bucket/container/sink where you are pouring the water or even onto the floor. And, sadly, I'm speaking from experience! Fortunately in my case, the fish in question was fine afterwards.
Agreed! When I was pouring water out, I was so scared that he was going to jump out since the bag is so small.