Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 
capittarius

Submersible heater... or is it?

Hello everyone,

I just bought this heater: http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/11230

It says that it's submersible, but as I was reading the instructions it says several things like "if appliance falls into the water, don't reach for it" and "it should not be plugged in if there is water on parts not intended to be wet."

... so what gives? Is this not fully submersible? Does submersible just refer to putting the glass part into the water? But then, I don't know how far into the water it can go, because there is no label for a "max water level." It only has a label for the "minimum water level." Does anyone have this heater, or know anything about Hagen products? I just figured I ought to err on the side of caution. Thanks!
capittarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #2 
Tabbie82

I don't personally have experience with that particular heater, but I do believe it has to say it is fully submersible for the whole thing to go underwater. I could be wrong on that, but that's how I understand it. I know some people on here have that heater, so maybe they can chime in?
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #3 
louisvillelady

I believe when they say "if it falls into the water, don't reach for it" meaning that if it falls off the side of the tank wall, do not reach in and get it until you unplug it and let it cool. Alot of people do not realize that these heaters are etremely hot even under woater. And when you first touch it, you will not feel the heat, and by the time yu do feel the heat, you will have a terrible burn. The other statement means don't plug it in if there is water on the plug or on the wire that could run to the plug while you are plugging it in or after you plug it in causeing you to be electrocuted or possibly start a fire. If you look on the top of the heater, on the glass area, you should see a line that says something like "minimum water line" this means the water has to at least be to that line or it could cause the heater to break the glass, or malfunction. Hope this helps.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote